sdsoccer

5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
How is the TBR orgo book in comparison to Kaplan and EK?

I took a Kaplan course and my organic chem is fairly week and looking to supplement.

Is the $60 for TBR orgo worth it cuz I hear TBR for PS is the best

Kouger86

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm using TBR Orgo right now, and I highly recommend it, if you've got the time, it's 2 really dense books in comparison to EK/Kaplan. I've also tried EK/Kaplan, which I didn't like much.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I also agree. From my point of view, I'll consider myself as low-mediocre level of understanding pre-TBR, post TBR, my understanding has gone from mediocre-high level. However, I am a ****** so if it can push me into a relatively high level of understanding, just imagine what it'll do for you!

(I know I sound like a TBR spokesperson but true story)..EK Ochem was way too sparse for me cause I need concrete examples and explanations.

sdsoccer

5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Im just not sure if it is too detailed/dense for what is necessary for the MCAT. Maybe I will just get it for the passages at least and then some content if needed. I used to be really good at ochem but that was like 2-3 years ago and has all gone out the window.

Evergrey

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I was good at Orgo, it was definitely my strength going into studying for the MCAT. I used TBR and got through most of it and felt really prepared for the MCAT. Then the real deal comes and I get one (ONE...??? wtf) orgo passage. I was so pissed about that.

But they're all good books, and hey you have to study it just in case so why not do a good job and learn cool stuff while you're at it.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Organic also used to be my strength pre-MCAT and then it all left my head after a year or two. I know at times the chapters just seem long and just plain ridiculously tedious in terms of sheer volume but rest assured, after the first couple chapters, much of the text becomes skimmable because they have already covered it. Also, I know you don't want to but you just gotta keep moving forward!

TFS

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
BR ochem is awesome. i only used it to brush up on a couple sections, but its waaaaay better than EK ochem - they give you tons of helpful tricks and the passages are just excellent. :thumbup:

sdsoccer

5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks.

you guys sold me.

mailing in my order for TBR orgo, inorg, and phys today....

Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I'm hoping for it to be as wonderful as everyone is describing TBR to be. I'm curious...people who got TBR, how long did it take? Its been 5 days since I've mailed my order form. They should get it either today or tomorrow, but I hope they ship fast.

One very important question:

I've heard a lot of people talking about how TBR practice passages are awesome. Are those practice passages in the book along with content review, or are you guys talking about good passages in their CBTs?

Last edited:

Kouger86

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
TBR has ~10-14 passages per chapter at the end of a chapter in the content review book with mostly detailed answers, which I believe are to blame for at least 1/4th of the thickness of the books.