1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

TBR Passage 6, Ch. 8: Electrostatics

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Majik, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Majik

Q: How do the masses of the spheres in Experiment 2 compare before and after the experiment?
    Alright, I'm a little confused what's going on here in this experiment. I'm assuming the glass rod attracts electrons to one side of the sphere towards the glass rod. No electrons are transferred during this process because they're not actually touching. However, I'm not entirely sure what would happen with the conducting wire between the two spheres. If electrons from sphere I flow towards the side where the glass rod is (leaving the other side slightly positive), do electrons from the second sphere travel to sphere I due to electrostatic attraction? The explanation just said one mass increases due to gaining electrons while the other decreases but didn't really explain what was going on. So could anyone please tell me if what I said is correct? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ThirdEye

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sounds right. An abundance of e- would build up on the side of the sphere near the glass rod, then move down the gradient through the wire, to the unaltered sphere (increasing that sphere's mass).

4. Majik

Thanks for confirming :)