TBR passages and timing set by SN2ed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitalie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been following SN2ed's method in order to study for MCATs. So far my physics has been a bit pathetic. I m trying to follow the method of SN2ed but I get really anxious with physics passages and seem to be spending more time on certain questions which makes me lose focus on my other passages due to finishing on time. I also saw that some of the bio passages are really difficult to do (especially mol bio stuff) by 6 to 6.5 minutes. Is thier any way to get about this and I am worried because of that I tend to miss out on questions.

Members don't see this ad.

The method I have used so far is to take the first passages keeping time and trying to move quickly (no more than ~10-12 min a passage or ~2 minutes on any one problem) but allowing yourself plenty of time to analyze and discover the answer yourself. Then after maybe a week or two (20-30 passages) start to be a bit more intentional on the timing, such as a group of 3 passages in 25 minutes (~8 min each). Slowly working towards 6-6.5 minutes by halfway or farther into studying. I have been doing this for several weeks and have done several passages under 6 minutes while the tough ones are still around 10 minutes (starting at 11-12 minutes per passage), and I'm averaging about 8 minutes now with months left to continue improving.

I think the main key is to slowly speed up and, even more importantly, allow yourself time to develop the thought process for MCAT problem solving. This is NOT the same as getting problems wrong by going fast and then looking at the right answer. This involves figuring out how to think passage style and slowly speeding this process up after discovering it.

If you're spending 3 months studying this seems like a reasonable goal:
1st month- go from keeping time to 8 min or less / passage
2nd month - go from 8 min to under 7 min / passage
3rd month - (full length tests taken) keep working towards 6 min / passage

The method I have used so far is to take the first passages keeping time and trying to move quickly (no more than ~10-12 min a passage or ~2 minutes on any one problem) but allowing yourself plenty of time to analyze and discover the answer yourself. Then after maybe a week or two (20-30 passages) start to be a bit more intentional on the timing, such as a group of 3 passages in 25 minutes (~8 min each). Slowly working towards 6-6.5 minutes by halfway or farther into studying. I have been doing this for several weeks and have done several passages under 6 minutes while the tough ones are still around 10 minutes (starting at 11-12 minutes per passage), and I'm averaging about 8 minutes now with months left to continue improving.

I think the main key is to slowly speed up and, even more importantly, allow yourself time to develop the thought process for MCAT problem solving. This is NOT the same as getting problems wrong by going fast and then looking at the right answer. This involves figuring out how to think passage style and slowly speeding this process up after discovering it.

If you're spending 3 months studying this seems like a reasonable goal:
1st month- go from keeping time to 8 min or less / passage
2nd month - go from 8 min to under 7 min / passage
3rd month - (full length tests taken) keep working towards 6 min / passage

Hey thanks a lot!! I will work on this. I will use this set up and see where it gets me but this will def help me calm down my nerves. Once again I really appreciate your help :)

I agree, TBR is really complex and thorough. They push you and I remember I was frustrated a lot when I did the passages. My physics score ended up being great so I can attest that TBR physics prepared me well. I also recommend supplementing examkrackers almost every day because most of their material is short and easy to get through (concise).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, TBR is really complex and thorough. They push you and I remember I was frustrated a lot when I did the passages. My physics score ended up being great so I can attest that TBR physics prepared me well. I also recommend supplementing examkrackers almost every day because most of their material is short and easy to get through (concise).

Good luck!

On the newest TBR for general chemistry they suggest you do 3 passages (20 questions) in 26 minutes. That's 8.6 per passage.

SN2ed suggests you start with 6-7 minutes per passage.

Does anyone know by heart the time per passage we have in the real MCAT?

Science sections are 52 Qs in 70 min:

7 passages (39 total Q, average of 5.6 Q per passage)
13 discretes

70 -13 = 57 min / 7 passages = 8.1 min / passage @ 5.6 Q

scaled for a 5Q passage = 7.5 min
scaled for a 6Q passage = 8.5 min
scaled for a 7Q passage = 9.5 min