TBR Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT on May 26. I just began studying today and I'm trying to work out my schedule. I've been out of school for about 3 years now so I really need a deep conceptual understanding of the material before I can do practice.

Does anyone know if 3 months is enough time to re-learn the material and to do all the practice passages in TBR? How long do you think it'll take to complete all the passages in both boths (I and II) for Physics and Chemistry?

I'm not enrolled in any MCAT courses so I'm preparing independently. Right now I'm trying to create a schedule but I'm trying to factor in the time it takes to do passages / practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the MCAT on May 26. I just began studying today and I'm trying to work out my schedule. I've been out of school for about 3 years now so I really need a deep conceptual understanding of the material before I can do practice.

Does anyone know if 3 months is enough time to re-learn the material and to do all the practice passages in TBR? How long do you think it'll take to complete all the passages in both boths (I and II) for Physics and Chemistry?

I'm not enrolled in any MCAT courses so I'm preparing independently. Right now I'm trying to create a schedule but I'm trying to factor in the time it takes to do passages / practice.

It's definitely possible. I personally wouldn't be able to do it though. I have 4.5 month schedule and finding it to be just enough time. Of course this is SDN, so you'll get a bunch of people talking down on you for studying 3+ months. It also depends on how ready you want to be for the test. Some people say that being 100% ready is like reaching zero Kelvin. If that's the case, I still want to get as close as possible!

It's definitely possible. I personally wouldn't be able to do it though. I have 4.5 month schedule and finding it to be just enough time. Of course this is SDN, so you'll get a bunch of people talking down on you for studying 3+ months. It also depends on how ready you want to be for the test. Some people say that being 100% ready is like reaching zero Kelvin. If that's the case, I still want to get as close as possible!

So what you're trying to say is that you want to have 0 internal mcat energy? That doesn't sound good!

In any event...

I started studying in mid jan. I sped through the big fat kaplan book. Took the practice exam in early feb and just moved my exam from april to may. Maybe I'm giving myself too much time by 'really studying' from feb-may, but I know that I learn and retain information best by doing 2-3 passes of information. So...

-I did my first run through with the fat kaplan book (super quick, little retained).
-Now doing EK for all 4 subjects while taking AAMC practice exams every 1-2 weeks and doing GS exams the rest of the time.
-With GS, I'm only doing the sciences and using EK 101 verbal for
some passage practice as I've read that GS verbal sucks...
-After all this, I'm going to use the books from a friends kap course to run chase down info on stuff that's not clear to me along with doing the high yield stuff.

The advantage of this is that I can take it easy for a week and not stress. I'm glad I made the decision as a family member had to get surgery and I've had to go home 2 weeks in a row. I could study a little bit the first time around, but won't be able to the second time (next week). So this way, I won't stress, won't burn out, and will kick ass come test day.

You know yourself well enough to know how you learn best. Stick to your gut and use practice exams (AAMC or otherwise) to see how you're improving. If you're not improving for 2 practice exams straight, then switch it up.

Good luck. You'll do great!