Cwc127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2007
Status
For those who have used these books to prepare and have taken the MCAT, how did the practice passages in these books relate to actual passages on your MCAT, or even on AAMC practice exams?

Were the example problems and practice passages in TBR harder? Easier? Similar to actual MCAT passages?

I ask because I have heard that the TBR passages for these sections contain a lot of math - whereas the MCAT focuses more on conceptual understanding and manipulation of equations as opposed to plugging in numbers and calculating.

Any comments would be appreciated.

DrSmday

7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
Cali
Status
Pre-Medical
I would disagree with the idea that the MCAT is mostly based on conceptual understanding... it can go either way, just look at the 1/29, 1/30 MCATers and us 3/27ers... you can never predict what kind of questions will be on your test..

with that said, i loved the Berkeley Review for PS. it improved my PS scores from a 9-13 on practice exams... I did not notice a lot of math. Quiet the opposite: they really helped me understand all the concepts to the last detail. I would say they were a bit harder than AAMC practice exams and much harder than my PS on the actual MCAT on 3/27 (our PS, unlike that of 1/30 was very calculation and basic concept based)... Even so, it is always good to practice with hard problems, that way you'll be ready for whatever comes your way... regardless of what kind of exam you get, berkeley review books will prepare you for it. I highly recommend them...

Best of luck

Cwc127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2007
Status
Thanks for the reply.

Also, which equations from the TBR books should be known cold? Only the ones that are boxed?