TBR Physics/Chemistry Books: Earliest "good" edition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting these books, but I need to know what is the earliest edition that is still considered "good" by people on here. 2005? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about getting these books, but I need to know what is the earliest edition that is still considered "good" by people on here. 2005? Thank you in advance.

I'll start by saying I'm a bit removed from BR these days (busy with few other things including a serious rethinking of my career path). You should call them up and ask them directly if the new physics book is out. I heard (but haven't seen it to make sure) that the new physics book is being used this summer in their course. If that's the case, then nothing before 2009 in physics will be as good. For general chemistry, 2004 is considered to be the cut off, although there was supposed to be an updated version ready this Fall. But the physics book due out last spring didn't happen until summer, so you should ask them directly about that.

I compared the 2008 version with BR 1995 version and found that the Biology and Physics book were the same; however, Chemistry and Organic were very different

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it looks like I'm way better off buying from TBR itself. Amazon is selling individual, older books for like $33+ a piece whereas TBR sells them for $50 in sectional pairs.

Well, it looks like I'm way better off buying from TBR itself. Amazon is selling individual, older books for like $33+ a piece whereas TBR sells them for $50 in sectional pairs.

Amazon is always more expensive for some reason. I think the resellers don't realize that new books from the company are cheaper than their used books.

About the only place where BR books seem to be cheaper than buying them from BR directly is Craigslist in areas where they teach (LA, OC, and SF bay). You could check eBay, but that can be hit or miss.

And 2005 is okay unless you can get Summer 2009 for physics.