TBR Question about the effect of temp on O2 binding to hemoglobin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukeorhopkinsonly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about the effect of temperature on oxygen hemoglobin affinity. The question asks, if the temperature is increased, which of the following are true:

1. A rise in temperature requires a lower partial pressure of oxygen to bind a given amount of oxygen.

2. A rise in temp requires a greater partial pressure of oxygen to bind a given amount of oxygen.

3. A rise in temperature requires a lower partial pressure of CO2 to bind a given amount of O2.

Obviously because it's a right shift in the curve, it will require a greater partial pressure of oxygen to bind the same amount. But I was under the impression that increasing CO2 would ALSO be a right shift, so my logic was that by decreasing CO2 levels, you would basically have a left shift, and could get back to the same level of oxygen binding. So I picked 2 AND 3.

But the answer says this is not true, and I'm just curious as to why. My thought is that since increased temp lowers Hb affinity for oxygen, decreasing CO2 would increase Hb affinity for O2. Anyone help me out here? Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad.