1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

TBR time/passage question

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by dreams, May 25, 2008.

1. dreams

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I just got the TBR physics and gen chem books last week to help with my poor practice test scoring in the PS section, however, these chapters are much longer than the EK ones I have been doing and I dont have much time left (I take it on June 13th) so I am wondering with the 10 passages in the back of each chapter if people tend to do all of them, or if not are all the same??? reason asking is bc I am looking at the physics section V ones and it says the last ones are the hardest is this true and the case for all passages in the TBR books??? I am trying to figure out which passages to do bc I dont think I have time for them all any suggestions??

2. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Vendor 10+ Year Member

You basically have about sixteen days to work through the books (Monday, May 26 through Tuesday, June 10). You should start by prioritizing topics. If you consider the MCAT feedback threads here, you can likely say that the following topics are highest priority in the PS section.

• General Chemistry
      Electrochemical Cells
      Stoichiometry (Calculation Stuff)
      Solubility of Salts in Water
      Acid-Base Buffer Systems
      Absorbance and Emittance of Light
      Acid-Base Titrations
      Nuclear Chemistry

• Physics
      Electromagnetic Induction
      Ideal Fluid Motion (Continuity, Bernoullli, and Poiseuille)
      Electromagnetic Force and Deflection
      Electric Circuits
      Tranlational Motion
      Periodic Motion
      Circular Motion
      Light and Optics
      Sound Waves and Doppler Effect

Start with this list. It's not that any topics not included in this list aren't important, it's just that with limited time, this group gives you your best yield in terms of probability of appearing. Do one of these sections per day. Finish the necessary reading and passages/questions before you do anything else each day. I'm going to drop the political correctness for a moment here and say that any other materials you may have won't do you as much good as the BR passages I'll suggest. Some materials may be prettier, but they do not offer the test-taking insights and detailed explanations you need when learning how to take a thinking test.

So here is your list:

Electrochemical Cells
    GC Book II: Read pages 258-261, 264-275, and 278-280 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages IV, V, VII, VIII, X, and XII

Stoichiometry (Calculation Stuff)
    GC Book I: Read pages 4-22, 24-25, and 29-30 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages I, IV, V, VIII, and XII

Solubility of Salts in Water
    GC Book I: Read pages 184-198 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages VII, IX, X, XIII, and XIV

Acid-Base Buffer Systems
    GC Book I: Read pages 238-246, 250-260, 261-264, and 296-301 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages chapter 4 II, IV, X, and XII, AND chapter 5 I, II, and III

Absorbance and Emittance of Light
    GC Book I: Read pages 94-105 and 109-118 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages III, VI, VIIII, IX, and XI

Acid-Base Titrations
    GC Book I: Read pages 302-316 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages VI, VII, IX, X, XI, XIII, and XIV

Nuclear Chemistry
    GC Book I: Read pages 70-72 and 119-124 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages II, XII, XIII, and XIV

Electromagnetic Induction
    Physics Book II: Read pages 125-128 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages I, VI, and IX (message me for a couple supplements)

Ideal Fluid Motion (Continuity, Bernoullli, and Poiseuille)
    Physics Book II: Read pages 51-55, 56-58, and 59-70 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages II, IV, VI, VII, VIII, and X

Electric and Electromagnetic Forces and Deflection
    Physics Book II: Read pages 114-124 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages II, III, IV, V, VII, and VIII AND General Chemistry Book I chapter 2 Passage I

Electric Circuits
    Physics Book II: Read pages 168-184 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages III, IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX

Tranlational Motion
    Physics Book I: Read pages 3-7, and 16-31 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages I, II, V, VI, and IX

Periodic Motion
    Physics Book I: Read pages 233-247 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages I, IV, VI, VII, IX, and X

Circular Motion
    Physics Book I: Read pages 74-78 and 79-90 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages II, V, and X

Light and Optics
    Physics Book II: Read pages 221-246 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages II, V, VI, VIII, IX, and X

Sound Waves and Doppler Effect
    Physics Book II: Read pages 4-18 and do the multiple choice questions within that reading
    Do Passages and Review Passages I, II, III, V, VI, VII, and IX

This will expose you to the thinking necessary to do well as well as some of the common concepts. Most importantly, you will learn some vital mnemonics, work with common equations, and solve some questions that incorporate multiple concepts. Best of luck with your intense push to the MCAT.