TCB's pre-pharmacy blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call from Hampton University school of Pharmacy, they scheduled me for an interview on February the 17. I am so happy and scared at the same time. The school only takes 60 students...

Now I have to prepare for the interview. I am one step closer to my goal; I am going there next Friday just to familiarize myself with the school, meet current students and ask them more questions about the program. I would have gone this Friday, but my bf would be so upset if I were to cancel our plans for this Friday, considering the fact we've waited all this week to see each other.. .or maybe not;. I will be taking the greyhound since the school is next to Virginia Beach, meaning 3 hours away from my house.

Members don't see this ad.

My parents decided that it was a better idea for me to fly to my interview instead of taking the bus, so my mom bought my plane ticket.

FutureRxGal: thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
TCB said:
My parents decided that it was a better idea for me to fly to my interview instead of taking the bus, so my mom bought my plane ticket.

FutureRxGal: thanks

How is everything now, TCB? :)

I'm trying to finish up Physics and Organic this semester. If I remember correctly, you are also a student of Montgomery College?

Anyhow, please keep us updated.

On Thursday I am flying for my interview at Hampton school on pharmacy. I have the outfit, navy suit and navy shoes as well. Now I hope that my brain won't let me down. I just learned that they don't have an essay portion on the interview for this year ... that made me happy.

What is the best question to ask interviewers? I was thinking about asking them when I was going to hear about a decision, but I don't think it is a good question. I need to show them I am so interested about the program.

dstormz: I am not at MC anymore, now I go to HCC my last semester...

My interview was great, three people interviewed me. I told them exactly what I was planning on saying and I wasn't nervous, they all seemed impressed by me. However I am not going to keep my hopes up, since many other factors are going to play in their decision. All I have to do now is wait and stop thinking about it. I should receive a decision letter in April... I haven't heard anything from the other schools , hopefully I will soon.

I guess I am going to write about it on the interview feedback ...

TCB said:
My interview was great, three people interviewed me. I told them exactly what I was planning on saying and I wasn't nervous, they all seemed impressed by me. However I am not going to keep my hopes up, since many other factors are going to play in their decision. All I have to do now is wait and stop thinking about it. I should receive a decision letter in April... I haven't heard anything from the other schools , hopefully I will soon.

I guess I am going to write about it on the interview feedback ...

good job TCB!

skp: thanks...

I know know... this supposed to be only about pharmacy school stufff but hey !! I haven't heard anything from any pharmacy schools, and my life is not going to stop here:

I finally got this soup diet, prepared by Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital and used by overweight heart patients to lose weight rapidly, usually before any surgery and I can't wait to try it.. At first glance I can say that this diet is going to be expensive since I have to eat a lot of fruits etc... but then again , good things come with a price. The guy who gave me this recipe lost 10LBS in one week, I don't think that I wil be able to loose that much since I am not fat, however I will try my best to follow it religiously for seven days.

This diet is kind of crucial, in the recipe is written: Eat as much as you want, whenever you want, this soup will not add calories. The more you eat the more weight you will loose. Warning!!! if eaten alone for an indefinite period of time, you will suffer malnutrition. PLease follow the day by day instructions.At the end of the seventh day, if you have not cheated, you will have lost 10-17 pounds. if you have lost more than 17 pounds, stay off of the diet for at least two days before resuming again from day one.

This is scary....

This week-end is my last week-end of junk food.. no more chicken Burritos from Chipotle, no more KFC, no more pizza... no more Starsbuck I am going to remove the fat built-up in my system... oh yeah even if they didn't mentioned it, I am working out 5 days a week next week. A diet without any kind of exercise is not good. I don't know how people can even live without exercising...some people are just lazy; it is crazy and they always come up with lame excuses like: I hurt my knees, I have back problems... please !!!

TCB
You're right, this diet does sound scary! I don't really think it's possible to lose 10-17 pounds of fat in 2 weeks. If anyone loses that much weight, it'll mostly be due to water loss. All it's going to do is dehydrate you and possibly make you malnourished. I've seen your pictures, so I'm sure you know a lot about health.....the best "diet" is simply eating a well balanced meal and drinking lots of water. :)

Besides, Sacred Heart Memorial hospital doesn't even recognize this diet. It's all a gimmick. Good luck anyway though.
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=507

TCB said:
I know know... this supposed to be only about pharmacy school stufff but hey !! I haven't heard anything from any pharmacy schools, and my life is not going to stop here:

I finally got this soup diet, prepared by Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital and used by overweight heart patients to lose weight rapidly, usually before any surgery and I can't wait to try it..
Sounds like a lot of salt (sodium). Do they mention that anywhere? I wouldn't think that CHF patients would want a high-sodium diet.. at all. What's in the soup!? :eek:

JD

AmandaRxs : this diet advocate healthy eating, with plenny of vegatables, fruits and water. The only difference is that in top of that, they have a soup. So even if I don't loose weight by drinking the soup, I will loose weight by eating healthy for seven days.

jdpharmd?: I will post the recipe for this diet after seven days. I am going to start doing it on Monday and I willl try not to cheat in order to see some results. As AmandaRxs pointed out, this might be gimmick.

Actually i have read/heard about the "soup" diet....

if those of you who are skeptical cambell's has recipes out there and they address the sodium concerns for those who have it.

and lets face it... the last thing you are probably going to do drinking a lot of soup is dehydrate (watching electrolytes)

good luck with that
i'm always trying to find a way to lose a pound or 20 with little to know effort

Members don't see this ad :)
I called FAMU they are sending something in the mail in two weeks... hopefully an interview for me.

April is just around the corner; should receive a decision letter from Hampton University on the first or second week of April.

I am done applying to four undergraduate schools, I applied to: Pitt, Uconn, Purdue and Xavier. I declared a biology major, just because I had to, but there is no way I am going to major in Biology. I am looking into: Health informations management, Exercise physiology or something along that line.

I am waiting to hear from five internships that I applied to for this summer. If I have to go through this process for a second time, it is time for me to work on it.

Peace.

I dropped A&P II, my professor was just ridiculous , always stating in class the her brightess students get Cs !? I don't know about you but I refuse to get a C like that.

Northeastern is the only school in my list which requires A & P II and I don't think that I will get in there. If I get in, I will have to take that class online during the summer. I 'm not even worried about Northeastern; at this point I just don't care.

One more thing: Hampton University is still interviewing, eventhough they told me that they will send me a decision letter in the first or second week of April. I guess it is good thing, it means the class is still not full. This is quite surprising, since they only admit 60 students and give priority to their undergraduate students.

I received my first rejection letter today from LECOM.

I am pretty sure that the next one will be from New Mexico University

Then third one from Northeastern.

Fourth one from FAMU

I am not sure where I stand with Hampton... I should get a letter soon.

Oh well I am ready for whatever.

PS: Oh yeah I don't think that I will write on here anymore... if a moderator could help me delete this entire thread, that you would be greatly appreciated.

HURxDealer : wow congratulations for getting into Hampton !!!!! You knew you were going to get in, based on your screen name !!!

FutureRxGal:
thank you for reopening my blog. I decided to continue writing on here , since I am going to reapply.

So what's happening with me?

I got into University of Connecticut undergraduate school, as fall 2005 transfer. Though I sent them money to reserve my seat, I might not go there :

-They don't have a Bachelor degree in Public Health
- In order to get into their pharmacy school one needs a 3.5 only in sciences courses. Right now my GPA is not even close to that. But the good thing about the pharmacy school there is that for Fall 2006 , they won't accept external applicants.

I applied to the University of Maryland: For fall 2005 transfer, to get a Bachelor in Public Health.

I also applied to Townson University: : I can also get a Bachelor in Community and Public Health at that school, and not many schools offer this program.

Finally Xavier University as a transfer for Fall 2005, but like Connecticut, they don' t offer a BS in Public Health. The only reason why I might consider going there is because, getting into their pharmacy school might be easier than getting into Uconn Pharmacy school. I was going to apply to their pharmacy school, but I needed Health Ethics.

At the mean time, I am still waiting for my rejection letter from Hampton University. I am fine with it, since I like my back up plan though it is a little bit confusing right now.

thanks girl. keep ur head up. u'll get ur letter from hampton university n hopefully it will be an acceptance. we'll be classmates then =) g luck!

I got my acceptance letter from Hampton University.

What a relief... thank you God !

Now I wonder if they have a gym !!!!!

Way to go TCB!! :clap:

ye of little faith... congrats :)

dgroulx, vafcarrot,Caverject thank you guys for congratulating me.

Now I have to apply for financial Aid and Loans.

dstormz you're applying for Fall 2006 right ?

Will you be taking classes at Rockville this fall ?

Thanks , You're next !

Thanks illusions !! maybe I should go to bed now :) It is 1:13 AM.

Congrats!!!!! Now you can start TCB's Pharmacy Blog!!! Anne

TCB said:
dstormz you're applying for Fall 2006 right ?

Will you be taking classes at Rockville this fall ?

Thanks , You're next !

Yes, hopefully, I will be applying for Fall of 2006. Thank you for giving me hopes.

Btw, I just graduated from MC this month :) I know CC sucks.

Anyhow, I will probably take some classes at UMCP.

I still need to take Microbio, Anatomy and Physiology, I think.

P.S. My science GPA as of now is 3.27 and my overall GPA is 3.44. I have one C in Physics I. Should I be worried?

dstormz said:
Yes, hopefully, I will be applying for Fall of 2006. Thank you for giving me hopes.

Btw, I just graduated from MC this month :) I know CC sucks.

Anyhow, I will probably take some classes at UMCP.

I still need to take Microbio, Anatomy and Physiology, I think.

P.S. My science GPA as of now is 3.27 and my overall GPA is 3.44. I have one C in Physics I. Should I be worried?

you're kidding me ? Community College doesn't sucks !! I was supposed to graduate from MC as well this past Friday but I didn't want to walk. I got my second Associate degree in pre-pharmacy because I didn't want to transfer to a four- year college due to money issues.

CONGRATULATIONS and be happy that you got that A.A, some people only have pre-requisites done !

Really, you shouldn't be worried. What helped me the most was my experience prior to applying , my essay and of course my interview. In order to shine in your interview, you have to know about the profession of pharmacy as a whole, so do a lot of research. I know that you will get in if you prepare yourself. Don't focus only on your grades, try to have the whole package.

You're doing great ! keep up the good work and also make sure that you stay in touch with your professors at MC , they will know you the best since the classes were smaller. In fact , at the end of this summer or in september, go ask them for letters of recommendation.

This application process is going to be so exciting ! you better start applying THIS SUMMER .

grxags: thanks...

TCB said:
This application process is going to be so hateful and ghastly ! you better start applying THIS SUMMER .
modified for truht

aubieRx said:
modified for truht

I think this application process is exciting in the beginning when you're doing research about schools you're interested in , you're happy about your grades, even if you got a C in Organic I , but you're proud to see a B in organic II and you can't wait for the ADCOMs to see your progress. Your personal statement is ready since you had 100 people review it . You have the conviction that you will get into pharmacy school no matter what.

But reality check when schools start loosing your supplemental application, you find yourself sending application fees at least twice to schools, pharmcas keeps sending you emails to remind you about schools deadlines, professors do not fill out letters of recommendation on time and you start stressing about where to volunteer. That is when this application process gets hateful and ghastly like aubieRx said ! at least for me.

thank you so much TCB. You really help me out with my decisions. :)

Hopefully, I won't be lazy and put off the PCAT.

I'm behind right now.

Congrats again! You deserve it.

TCB said:
But reality check when schools start loosing your supplemental application, you find yourself sending application fees at least twice to schools, pharmcas keeps sending you emails to remind you about schools deadlines, professors do not fill out letters of recommendation on time and you start stressing about where to volunteer. That is when this application process gets hateful and ghastly like aubieRx said ! at least for me.

Yes, the only thing I remember about the whole process was reading 40 pages of pharmCAS instructions, trying to rally a few professors to endorse me and shelling out a lot of money.

Tonight my mom told me that she is going to apply to pharmacy school. Since has a Doctorate in American Literature, she was thinking about applying to Law schol , but she is saying that Pharmacy school is better in terms of what she is planning on doing with that Doctorate degree.

I know she can do it, she got into computer science by teaching herself and I don't think that taking any kind of science courses, will be any harder for her. The only small thing will be wokring full- time while completing her pre-req, but she is smart.

Next week we are going to the community college so I can get her started.

Congrats on getting in TCB!!!........but what I really wanna know is.......what's up with the soup diet?? Did it work? I found the plan on the internet, I'm getting married next year and losing 10 - 17 pounds sounds good :D It looks like an interesting diet too!

laura_mideon said:
Congrats on getting in TCB!!!........but what I really wanna know is.......what's up with the soup diet?? Did it work? I found the plan on the internet, I'm getting married next year and losing 10 - 17 pounds sounds good :D It looks like an interesting diet too!

First of all congratulations !!!!

The soup diet works only if you have will power. I love food so much so I couldn't do it without cheating , but I did manage to loose some... like only 3 pounds . It also really work if you're significantly overweight.

I guess the best you to loose those ten pounds by next year, since YOU HAVE Plenty OF TIME. Is to drink a lot of water, eat vegetable and fruits, of course oatmeal in the morning and exercise few times a week. My mom did that for few weeks, she lost so much weight. I don't like vegetables so that was a problem for me.

I decided to try these diet pills that I discovered on M&F, I know it is bad, but I really did loose, and I was also exercising regularly. I will get back to them when I start exercising again, meaning this fall. I don't want to take them now because I took a break from working out and I don't want my body to get use to those pills or else they're not going to be efficient anymore.The pills have some side effects, but I never got any of those side effects. Not surprising, my body do not react to caffeine either ! I was so disappointed when I found out that RED BULL does not give me wings :-(

TCB said:
I decided to try these diet pills that I discovered on M&F, I know it is bad, but I really did loose, and I was also exercising regularly. I will get back to them when I start exercising again, meaning this fall. I don't want to take them now because I took a break from working out and I don't want my body to get use to those pills or else they're not going to be efficient anymore.The pills have some side effects, but I never got any of those side effects. Not surprising, my body do not react to caffeine either ! I was so disappointed when I found out that RED BULL does not give me wings :-(

Awww....that sucks about the wings...lol. My absolute favorite energy drink for finals is "Monster" it's amazing...have you tried that? Maybe it will work. But some of the energy drinks just make me feel high! So, you're going to try diet pills? Wow, I took xenadrin before and had bad side effects (even though it did help me lose weight) so I had to stop taking them.....so be careful. The side effects were not fun at all.
I just talked to my best friend and she tried the soup diet and said it takes an incredible amount of will power....which I lack when it comes to chocolate and stuff....so we'll see. Plus I have awful study habits with junk food and it's midterms right now.....oh well.
I just want to lose about 15 pounds to be at my normal (and goal) weight. I totally gained those freshman 15 everyone talks about in college so I just want to get rid of that. I guess there's no miracle diet. I just gotta' give more of my time to the gym! :rolleyes:

laura_mideon said:
Awww....that sucks about the wings...lol. My absolute favorite energy drink for finals is "Monster" it's amazing...have you tried that? Maybe it will work. But some of the energy drinks just make me feel high! So, you're going to try diet pills? Wow, I took xenadrin before and had bad side effects (even though it did help me lose weight) so I had to stop taking them.....so be careful. The side effects were not fun at all.
I just talked to my best friend and she tried the soup diet and said it takes an incredible amount of will power....which I lack when it comes to chocolate and stuff....so we'll see. Plus I have awful study habits with junk food and it's midterms right now.....oh well.
I just want to lose about 15 pounds to be at my normal (and goal) weight. I totally gained those freshman 15 everyone talks about in college so I just want to get rid of that. I guess there's no miracle diet. I just gotta' give more of my time to the gym! :rolleyes:

I guess I will have to give monster a try... I don't know if they have it in the US...

Yes, I take those diet pills they're amazing. But like I say, I am taking a break from them right now since I am not exercising during the summer.

" there's no miracle diet. I just gotta' give more of my time to the gym! :rolleyes:[/" I know that is right :)

Good luck on your midterms !!!!!!!! and I have a great saturday.

diet pills can be pretty bad. :( I had a hairdresser who had a daughter who diedfrom them (i think they affected her heart or something).

exercise and good nutrition alone are :thumbup:

aubieRx said:
diet pills can be pretty bad. :( I had a hairdresser who had a daughter who diedfrom them (i think they affected her heart or something).

exercise and good nutrition alone are :thumbup:

wow, that's scary! Was there ephedrine in them or something?

don't know. I felt really bad for her because she was talking about how she knew that was what was making her daughter sick and she tried to take the diet pills but her daughter would just go out and buy more.

its scary sometimes how people are so focused on an idea that they won't listen to the people who love them

Hey I like the idea, I just started out a blog since I got accepted to Pharmacy school, but I think Ive been a tech for over a year at least!

http://pharmacyblog.wordpress.com

Visit my blog its just starting out but I making headway... just need to get those damn RSS feeds straight! :D

norx said:
Hey I like the idea, I just started out a blog since I got accepted to Pharmacy school, but I think Ive been a tech for over a year at least!

http://pharmacyblog.wordpress.com

Visit my blog its just starting out but I making headway... just need to get those damn RSS feeds straight! :D

What was your GPA TCB??? What about you norx???