TCMC Class of 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McNabbASub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to get to know each other. Figured this would be easier for everyone to find than a thread titled "New Medical School" ... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an acceptance a few days ago and just sent off my deposit. I'm really excited to be part of this new school. They seem to really have a lot going for them. See you this fall!

I have a question to the others that have been accepted. I was also accepted a few days ago. I think the school is great, but I am not ready to make a final decision on where I will attend next year. On the reply form, if I select yes, am I committed to the school or can I withdraw my acceptance later if I decide to go somewhere else.

Thanks and congrats to everyone here.

I have a question to the others that have been accepted. I was also accepted a few days ago. I think the school is great, but I am not ready to make a final decision on where I will attend next year. On the reply form, if I select yes, am I committed to the school or can I withdraw my acceptance later if I decide to go somewhere else.

Thanks and congrats to everyone here.

You can withdraw up until May 15th? 18th? something like that. There is some information about when you can no longer receive a refund and such on the website. But yes, accepting does not mean you're "stuck" at that school. Lots of people accept at schools that offer it to them early and then make their final decisions later when they have heard back from everywhere. Of course, TCMC is so awesome why would you even consider going elsewhere? Oh, and hi other accepted people. Look forward to seeing you in the fall.

With the economic and banking crisis, you guys worried about getting private loans for TCMC and the high interest that may come with them?

With the economic and banking crisis, you guys worried about getting private loans for TCMC and the high interest that may come with them?

The interest rates are the lowest they have been in years...the problem is getting a faith loan for most people in their twenties

I spoke with the financial aid person at TCMC and he said that the interest rate on private student loans should range from about 6 to 14 percent, depending on your credit history and what not. Granted, these are not set values as the interest rates for next year won't really be known until January. He also suggested to call credit unions that you may be involved with since a few weeks ago a new lender was putting some cash into student loans through credit unions. I know that they will help us find the money to pay for school, and especially if you can get someone to co-sign the interest rates should not be too bad. Everyone just remember to fill out a FAFSA after January 1st and before February 1st because this will be used in part to determine need-based aid scholarships that may be available from TCMC in the spring. Also, there are a lot of links for outside scholarship information on the financial aid page, which is always worth looking into.

The interest rates are the lowest they have been in years...the problem is getting a faith loan for most people in their twenties

Interest rates for educational loans are actually very high, and have been climbing ever since W took office...interest rates that are lowered by the fed have nothing to do with educational loans as they are trying to entice investors and other financiers. with the credit market as it is, getting loans will be tough...fortunately, physicians are thought of as good investments by banks so hopefully the rates won't be too high...
on another note, does anyone feel that going to TCMC may pave the way for a better residency in NE PA or do you think that, being so new, it may hinder us?

Hi guys,
Congrats on admission
How long did it take for TCMC to notify you for an interview? Did they call? email?
Thanksssss!

Hi guys,
Congrats on admission
How long did it take for TCMC to notify you for an interview? Did they call? email?
Thanksssss!

It seems to take between a couple of days to two weeks after receiving the "application is complete" e-mail. They have been notifying by e-mail, regarding an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got accepted yesterday (12/18), interviewed (12/10). do any of you have other acceptances? how sure are you that you'll be attending TCMC? I was really impressed, so I'm really considering withdrawing all my other applications. what do you think?

Just curious......how many people are Penn residents here?

I interviewed, and was only one of 2 out of state people. Other interviewees were all Penn residents.

Just curious......how many people are Penn residents here?

I interviewed, and was only one of 2 out of state people. Other interviewees were all Penn residents.

I'm from PA.

I too am a PA resident. Happy New Year all. Any good resolutions out there?

What part of PA are you guys from?

Hello everyone. I too am a PA resident, from the Hershey area, and was recently accepted at TCMC. Congrats to those also accepted, I am very excited and I'm sure you are too.

Any thoughts on living situations? The TCMC website has a few links to apartment complexes in the area and most seem reasonably priced. Has anyone started looking into housing yet? I would like to room with other med students, so I am not sure if I should wait until interviews are finished and the charter class in finalized. Also, if a student were to choose a regional campus other than Scranton, I would imagine he/she would move after 2 years to a new housing situation in either Williamsport or Wilkes-Barre. Perhaps I should wait to find out which regional campus I get.

:luck::eek::hardy::welcome::banana: <--- these are fun haha can you tell I am a new Student Doctor Forum member?

Hey, where did you find the links on the apartment complexes around the campus in Scranton? Thanks and congratulation to you of course. Maybe when we get into May and the class list becomes more or less finalized, we might be able to start up a facebook page for the TCMC Class of 2013 so we can start posting pictures and getting to know each other.

http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000195

Some of those links aren't working properly. Craigslist.com might be a better resource later on, closer to move-in time.

Hey Everyone,

I am a Pittsburgh resident that just recently got accepted to tcmc. I was wondering if anyone that is going to tcmc next fall is going to participate in the summer research program for students.

Heya guys,

I just got accepted yesterday! Congrats to everyone else who has been as well. Are you all planning to go to that second look weekend in april?

congrats!! I will go up again for the financial plan talk in the spring or at least if they still offer it. I was just up there last weekend looking at apartments. I looked at the lofts at the mill and summit apartments. Both cost about 900 with everything included. I am going to go with the lofts at the mill because of the extras (fitness center, game room, library, and lounge). Also, it is a 5 min drive to class. I suggest to anyone who is interested in going to TCMC to start looking at apartments to make sure you get the best one for you. congrats again!

There's a second look date set for April? When did you hear about that? Guess I'll see you all there.

This seems like a great school...I have been accepted and see it as a great opportunity to be in the 1st class

I have not looked into living too much yet, but it would be great if we could get a facebook page together to get to know one another more, and then possible get some roomates to cut the cost of living

I'm still deciding, but I'm STRONGLY considering TCMC.... I think a facebook page would be great, as I will definitely be looking for roomates as the time draws near.

I just sent my deposit in! I'm very excited to be part of this!

Hopefully I'll meet some of you in April, and the rest of you I'm sure I'll meet camping out during orientation... sounds like a great start.

I'm from the Pittsburgh area for those of you wondering about in-state/out-of-state ratios. So an in-stater but not NE PA.

hey y'all! representin' cali here. great to be a part of this thread and looking forward to meeting each n everyone of you.

to nucmed33, thanks for the 411 on the 2 apts. i'll look into those very soon and will consider having roomates to help w/ expenses.

Last edited:
You may have seen some recent articles about the Governor's decision not to include TCMC in his proposed budget. While we were surprised by the Governor’s decision to not include support for TCMC in his budget it is a situation being played out in almost every state aided/supported medical school in the country. With the national economy in trouble cutting higher education support looks in the short term like a good choice but long term is not in the best interest of any state. TCMC has multiple sources of funding—Blue Cross of NEPA, tuition, philanthropy, clinical practice income and federal dollars. We need to work hard at increasing philanthropy and are working to have at least some state dollars restored. PA legislators remain very supportive of the college and our mission and the Governor’s budget is the beginning of the dialog on state priorities--- not the end. As we make choices about how we spend our money our priority is, and will continue to be, providing the students with a high quality education. We will not make cuts in our educational mission. The regional support for this school is strong and students coming to TCMC will have an exceptional experience.

Hey everyone, I created a Facebook group for TCMC, so everyone has an opportunity to get to know each other better, and maybe start finding roomates. The group is simply titled TCMC. I myself am strongly considering this school, and would like to meet others who are considering TCMC.....Best of Luck to everyone

I had a question from one of the 2013 students on the TCMC Facebook page about the impact of the budget cuts on scholarships. I thought everyone might benefit from the answer. Rest assured there is no impact on the scholarships from the state $. The scholarships are community sponsored and raised from private dollars--- they are safe and intact!

Will other potential need based financial aid packages be affected? With each student having $40,000 COA after the initial extremely generous scholarships that 5 million would have made it a lot easier on everyone. Where will the cuts have to be made to account for this loss of funding?

Will other potential need based financial aid packages be affected? With each student having $40,000 COA after the initial extremely generous scholarships that 5 million would have made it a lot easier on everyone. Where will the cuts have to be made to account for this loss of funding?

As I said earlier all the cuts that we may have to make (and this is early in the process we still hope some money will be restored) will be made in non academic areas. We may have to hire staff more slowly, grow our research program more slowly than we would like, cut conference travel, etc. There are many areas we can look at without having to impact educational support. The Dean has made it clear that educational activities and quality will not be compromised.

hey peeps. did you all receive the email on revisit weekend? how many plan to attend and what topics do you guys want addressed during the event? thanks.

Has anyone gotten information about class logistics at TCMC? For example, what the timeframe of classes and school commitments will be daily? I don't recall this being mentioned at the interview, but does anyone know? I wanted to try to get an idea for the amount of time I'll have to study with the hope that I'll have large blocks of time in the late afternoon and evening to study. Also, are all the classes staggered back to back or classes spread throughout the day? Since some professors (I believe) are also active physicians I am wondering how this will impact the scheduling of classes. If anyone has information, I would appreciate hearing it.

those are decent looking schedules

Last edited:
Has anyone looked into housing at all yet?

Hello all. I'm definitely attending the information session in May. I'm super excited to be at this school. And I live in PA, just to answer that question from months ago.

anyone else having trouble logging into the blackboard page?

I am also having trouble with my login to the portal page.

I was also having trouble at first.

What you have to do is capitalize the first 2 letters.

For Example: John Smith would be JSmith to sign in.

Hope this helps!

Thanks that worked out... I did not capitalize at first.