TCMC MBS OR St.George's University School of Medicine????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.FelA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I am having a really hard time deciding what to do.
I applied 2 years ago to regular med school and was rejected from all schools. I left and went to a very bad international medical school. I quickly realized that it was terrible and not where I wanted to be so I came back to the states and applied to the commonwealth medical school MBS program and St. Georges school of medicine.

I was accepted to both!

SOOOO now I cant decide... Do i do the TCMC MBS program that will guarantee interview to their med school as long as I have a 502 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA in the MBS program (and will apply to the med cycle again using my new stats) OOOOORRRRR should I go to the guaranteed medical school of St. George's although it is international?

PLEAAAASEEE HEEEELPPP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone here will endorse another international school. St. George's = international.

Reactions: 2 users
Current stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't even think about SGU unless you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt. At best, your chances of ever becoming a doctor from SGU are 50%. Cue Argus to come in sputtering "but...but NRMP!"

You're exactly the gullible mark they prey upon.

Do the SMP.

Hey guys so I am having a really hard time deciding what to do.
I applied 2 years ago to regular med school and was rejected from all schools. I left and went to a very bad international medical school. I quickly realized that it was terrible and not where I wanted to be so I came back to the states and applied to the commonwealth medical school MBS program and St. Georges school of medicine.

I was accepted to both!

SOOOO now I cant decide... Do i do the TCMC MBS program that will guarantee interview to their med school as long as I have a 502 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA in the MBS program (and will apply to the med cycle again using my new stats) OOOOORRRRR should I go to the guaranteed medical school of St. George's although it is international?

PLEAAAASEEE HEEEELPPP!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
After having a bad experience with an international school, why do you think St. Georges will be different?
The only reason why I am considering another international school is ONLY because it is St. George's which is supposedly the #1 international med school with comparative USMLE scores to US and SUPPOSEDLY has a good US residency placement %. That's the ONLY reason why I am even considering another international school. The one that I had gone to orignally was a LOW TIER international school that was TERRIBLE!! I left after 1 semester. I am just worried about TCMC MBS because its a risk. Its not a guarantee that I will be accepted into the MD class. So my worry is that I take 16 months out of my life to bust my rump in the MBS program to in the end have to resort to international all over again =(

Reactions: 1 user
Current stats?
3.5 GPA, 502 MCAT although I am retaking MCAT January 18th.
I have A lot of medical experience worked in a pediatric trauma center and ED, medical volunteer abroad experiences, shadowing etc etc.
Also URM

To get a guaranteed interview in the tcmc mbs program I need a minimum 502 MCAT and maintain a 3.0 in the MBS program and be in the top 20% of the MBS class.

Don't even think about SGU unless you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt. At best, your chances of ever becoming a doctor from SGU are 50%. Cue Argus to come in sputtering "but...but NRMP!"

You're exactly the gullible mark they prey upon.

Do the SMP.

I see what you are saying definitely, I guess I am just nervous about the risk that I would be taking with the SMP since its not guaranteed to get accepted into its MD. I just feel like I am already accepted into MD (although its international) and would be so disappointed if I do not get into the SMP MD. But I also know that it is also worth the risk because if it does work out, I will be in a US Med school.

I have A lot of medical experience worked in a pediatric trauma center and ED, medical volunteer abroad experiences, shadowing etc etc.
Also URM

To get a guaranteed interview in the tcmc mbs program I need a minimum 502 MCAT and maintain a 3.0 in the MBS program and be in the top 20% of the MBS class.
What state are you from ?

And if the SMP doesn't work out, you'll know that you tried your best, and it's time to do something else.

I see what you are saying definitely, I guess I am just nervous about the risk that I would be taking with the SMP since its not guaranteed to get accepted into its MD. I just feel like I am already accepted into MD (although its international) and would be so disappointed if I do not get into the SMP MD. But I also know that it is also worth the risk because if it does work out, I will be in a US Med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The only reason why I am considering another international school is ONLY because it is St. George's which is supposedly the #1 international med school with comparative USMLE scores to US and SUPPOSEDLY has a good US residency placement %. That's the ONLY reason why I am even considering another international school. The one that I had gone to orignally was a LOW TIER international school that was TERRIBLE!! I left after 1 semester. I am just worried about TCMC MBS because its a risk. Its not a guarantee that I will be accepted into the MD class. So my worry is that I take 16 months out of my life to bust my rump in the MBS program to in the end have to resort to international all over again =(

Don't forget that the board scores are misleading, since they essentially force out anyone they think stands a chance at failing.

Don't forget that the board scores are misleading, since they essentially force out anyone they think stands a chance at failing.
Even after excluding those folks only 75% of the remaining people pass the USMLE on the first try.
OP, here is the real risk. You end up with 400k of debt after going to the carribean and 1. cant graduate, 2. Cant pass the boards, 3. Cant find a residency even if you somehow manage to pass all the hurdles. Vs you dont get in after the SMP. The SMP should let you know if you can hack it. If you can, it should help you get a spot in a med school in America.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even after excluding those folks only 75% of the remaining people pass the USMLE on the first try.
OP, here is the real risk. You end up with 400k of debt after going to the carribean and 1. cant graduate, 2. Cant pass the boards, 3. Cant find a residency even if you somehow manage to pass all the hurdles. Vs you dont get in after the SMP. The SMP should let you know if you can hack it. If you can, it should help you get a spot in a med school in America.

Oh yeah. And don't forget the wonderful hurdles you have to jump just to get a residency, like getting certified by the ECFMG.

Its not a guarantee that I will be accepted into the MD class. So my worry is that I take 16 months out of my life to bust my rump in the MBS program to in the end have to resort to international all over again =(
Your chance of getting into an MD program after the MBS is going to be roughly the same as getting good Step 1 and residency placement at St. George. The match rate last year for US Allopathic was 93%, US IMG was 53%. So if you choose to go the IMG route, you are basically flipping a coin to see if you get a residency. And for what it's worth, DO match is 81%. So bust your rump and apply domestic MD and DO.

Your chance of getting into an MD program after the MBS is going to be roughly the same as getting good Step 1 and residency placement at St. George. The match rate last year for US Allopathic was 93%, US IMG was 53%. So if you choose to go the IMG route, you are basically flipping a coin to see if you get a residency. And for what it's worth, DO match is 81%. So bust your rump and apply domestic MD and DO.

Is that overall DO or ACGME?

Regardless, just trying to show OP that all options are better than US IMG.
I agree. I just wanted to reaffirm DO is a more optimal route compared to IMG. OP your MCAT score says you may have difficulty passing the usmle especially in the Caribbean.

Regardless, just trying to show OP that all options are better than US IMG.

I agree. I just wanted to reaffirm DO is a more optimal route compared to IMG. OP your MCAT score says you may have difficulty passing the usmle especially in the Caribbean.

Definitely agree. Was just curious because I'd think with the AOA match, the overall DO match rate would be closer to US MDs. Of course, the merger might shift things around a bit, but I still feel like the only ones that will be really hurt by it are IMGs.

Thanks to everyone for your input!! This has been an incredibly hard decision. I have decided on TCMC-MBS, Starting January!! I rather take my chances and bust my butt to get into US med then to struggle latter as a US-IMG trying to get residency placement. I would be devastated if I go international bust my butt to only end up with crap-load of debt and no US residency.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah I know, But honestly I really did not study my first time around with the MCAT. I was working full time and dealing with many life obstacles and did very LIGHT studying for MCAT which shows. But now I am in the Kaplan MCAT program, quit my job and I am at a better place to greatly improve my MCAT scores. I pray that I do much better on that MCAT because my current score is pretty bad =(

Thanks to everyone for your input!! This has been an incredibly hard decision. I have decided on TCMC-MBS, Starting January!! I rather take my chances and bust my butt to get into US med then to struggle latter as a US-IMG trying to get residency placement. I would be devastated if I go international bust my butt to only end up with crap-load of debt and no US residency.
Good choice.

I thought it was almost impossible to get into a U.S. medical school if you matriculated somewhere else, even internationally. For my own knowledge, are the circumstances here different because it's an SMP vs. applying through a traditional route?

I thought it was almost impossible to get into a U.S. medical school if you matriculated somewhere else, even internationally. For my own knowledge, are the circumstances here different because it's an SMP vs. applying through a traditional route?
This is a good point that hasn't been discussed. OP has a good argument why he didn't want to continue study in Caribbean. The requirements are something along the lines of letter from the dean or something dependant on the school.

Also URM

I think your current stats are ok for DO...

Never ever ever never go to the Caribbean.

OP, your GPA and MCAT are good, have you thought about Podiatry? It is the closest thing to medical school you can get if medical school for some reason doesn't pan out. They are still doctors. They are surgeons now, that work on both foot and ankle. Prior to 2010, they had to do special residency for ankel, now every pod is a surgeon.

There is also dental school, Optometry school, and pharmacy school (although I don't recommend the latter two).

Heck, even Physician Assistants can do 90% of what docs can do now.

I'm going to SGU med this August and I have no regrets about it. I know several doctors that went to SGU med, in specialties ranging from family medicine to interventional cardiology. The head of this major hospital in my hometown went to SGU. I have 3 friends that are there right now and one just got matched at NYU for residency--all 3 of my friends love it. I honestly beg them to tell me negatives but the only things I've heard are most people tend to drop out first semester for various reasons, and international med students, on average, need to score higher than US Step 1 average to try and secure a residency. I believe the US average is 224, so shoot for a 230. Great thing about SGU is their students on average, are scoring at, or higher (by 1%) than the US average.
If you put in the work, just like at any other medical school, you will be fine. SGU grads are approved to practice in all 50 states--have all the same approvals as US MD. 53.9% International US med students get a residency--however, there are a lot of international medical schools, and as you know, they aren't all created equally. SGU is the #1 US residency provider for international medical students. If you can't get into anywhere in the US, then I'd say SGU is a solid back up.

Last edited:
lol you'll need better than a 230

how do you know if you put in the work, you'll be fine, like any other med school?
what makes you think going to any med school things work out fine?
because you have success stories?
guess what, I know people who have smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and died of old age in their 80s with no limiting illness.
Golly, to hear all these stories I have, we all should pick up smoking. We'll be fine if we put enough work in on the farm, country living!!

I love how you are telling us how great this will all be, before you've even done it

it's clear reading your post you have no idea what you are talking about, and you start in August.
That's just very sad you're starting with so little knowledge of the realities of securing a residency slot.
That's OK, I went to a good allopathic school and some people had no idea there was even this little thing called residency. I guess I should be glad you're ahead of that game.

It's not too late to back out and save your life.

Do me a favor since I'm a such bitch, come back in 4 years and tell me you matched to anything categorical or with an advanced slot, then come back some years after that to tell me you finished your residency.

Until then, I don't want to hear your untested hypotheses.

Reactions: 5 users
For goodness sakes, go to podiatry school, heck at this point, go to pharmacy before the Caribbean!

how do you know if you put in the work, you'll be fine, like any other med school?
guess what, I know people who have smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and died of old age in their 80s with no limiting illness.
Golly, to hear all these stories I have, we all should pick up smoking. We'll be fine if we put enough work in on the farm, country living!!

I love how you are telling us how great this will all be, before you've even done it

lol I will let you know where I match in 4 years. I also am on a 50% merit scholarship, that may be changed to 100% as I am starting a research program at SGU. Your negative comments are not necessary and I am not worried about my future as I will be an MD as l0ng as things continue to go well.

Last edited:
it's clear reading your post you have no idea what you are talking about, and you start in August.
That's just very sad you're starting with so little knowledge of the realities of securing a residency slot.
That's OK, I went to a good allopathic school and some people had no idea there was even this little thing called residency. I guess I should be glad you're ahead of that game.

It's not too late to back out and save your life.

Do me a favor since I'm a such bitch, come back in 4 years and tell me you matched to anything categorical or with an advanced slot, then come back some years after that to tell me you finished your residency.

Until then, I don't want to hear your untested hypotheses.

lol you sound extremely salty, did you get denied or something?

I know I will be fine because my friends who go there now--I tutored them in their pre-med classes while in undergrad--and they are all succeeding. Thus, if they are doing well, I am sure I can do well. I am confident in my academic abilities and sincerely love medicine--I study it in my free time. I can not get enough of it to be quite honest. I graduated with a 3.74 as a Biochemistry major from University of Florida---I really don't have to prove myself to you. But I will be sure to let you know where I match, thanks girl :)

For goodness sakes, go to podiatry school, heck at this point, go to pharmacy before the Caribbean!

Why are you so against the Caribbean if people are cy getting matched in the S
Just curious, so where do you go to medical school?

lol you sound extremely salty, did you get denied or something?

I know I will be fine because my friends who go there now--I tutored them in their pre-med classes while in undergrad--and they are all succeeding. Thus, if they are doing well, I am sure I can do well. I am confident in my academic abilities and sincerely love medicine--I study it in my free time. I can not get enough of it to be quite honest. I graduated with a 3.74 as a Biochemistry major from University of Florida---I really don't have to prove myself to you. But I will be sure to let you know where I match, thanks girl :)

Did you you not read the part where I said I went to a good allopathic school?

Also I'd hardly be ****ting on you telling you to wake me when you match if I hadn't myself graduated and matched

What makes me salty are pre-meds coming in here acting like they know everything and ignoring the advice of actual doctors
it's your total arrogance when you clearly don't even know what Step score you're going to need to be competitive

if your GPA is that good, why not go stateside?

again, your friends attending the school are going well.... what's the school's attrition rate? What is their match rate?
because otherwise the grade this school is handing out to them means nothing to me

Did you you not read the part where I said I went to a good allopathic school?

Also I'd hardly be ****ting on you telling you to wake me when you match if I hadn't myself graduated and matched

What makes me salty are pre-meds coming in here acting like they know everything and ignoring the advice of actual doctors
it's your total arrogance when you clearly don't even know what Step score you're going to need to be competitive

if your GPA is that good, why not go stateside?

again, your friends attending the school are going well.... what's the school's attrition rate? What is their match rate?
because otherwise the grade this school is handing out to them means nothing to me

Nope missed that, I don't pay much attention to condescending people. However, maybe you are the arrogant and ignorant one. I am by no means naive about attending this medical school, I have done all the research on it--I know the pros and the cons. I do know the attrition rate and their match rate. I know, numbers are important, however people DO still make it. Also, I refuse to retake the MCAT I took it once, made a 503. Had 2 US MD interviews denied by both--they wanted me to retake the MCAT. I refuse to retake the MCAT and apply again for reasons of my own. So maybe that is "stupid of me" to not have exhausted my options, but I am comfortable attending SGU, if there were no SGU I would retake the MCAT and apply again. I personally know doctors who attended SGU, they are in many different specialties. My uncle is the head of a teaching hospital ED and he always has SGU residents and told me himself to go there. I even spoke with the Dean of UCF med school who told me that SGU would not be a bad option.

Anyways, for you to anonymously sit here and bash aspiring MDs from behind a keyboard doesn't display much professionalism, doc.

Nope missed that, I don't pay much attention to condescending people. However, maybe you are the arrogant and ignorant one. I am by no means naive about attending this medical school, I have done all the research on it--I know the pros and the cons. I do know the attrition rate and their match rate. I know, numbers are important, however people DO still make it. Also, I refuse to retake the MCAT I took it once, made a 503. Had 2 US MD interviews denied by both--they wanted me to retake the MCAT. I refuse to retake the MCAT and apply again for reasons of my own. So maybe that is "stupid of me" to not have exhausted my options, but I am comfortable attending SGU, if there were no SGU I would retake the MCAT and apply again. I personally know doctors who attended SGU, they are in many different specialties. My uncle is the head of a teaching hospital ED and he always has SGU residents and told me himself to go there. I even spoke with the Dean of UCF med school who told me that SGU would not be a bad option.

Anyways, for you to anonymously sit here and bash aspiring MDs from behind a keyboard doesn't display much professionalism, doc.

Why not apply DO...you'd be a shoo in.

Reactions: 3 users
Why not apply DO...you'd be a shoo in.
I don't want to do DO. I have a lot of family friends who are doctors and they all told me go MD over DO. And personally, if I am going to work my butt off, I'd rather not be approached in a hospital and asked "what does D.O. stand for." MD or nothing for me; but then again, that's just my opinion. Plus, you have to take DO Step exams AND MD Step exams, and I am not about to put myself through that stress lol.

I don't want to do DO. I have a lot of family friends who are doctors and they all told me go MD over DO. And personally, if I am going to work my butt off, I'd rather not be approached in a hospital and asked "what does D.O. stand for." MD or nothing for me; but then again, that's just my opinion. Plus, you have to take DO Step exams AND MD Step exams, and I am not about to put myself through that stress lol.

Choosing Carribean over DO for the letters......this is gold.

Your fear of standardized exams might also explain why you did not retake the MCAT. Just 3-5 more points and you would've netted acceptances.

Reactions: 9 users

Your fear of standardized exams might also explain why you did not retake the MCAT. Just 3-5 more points and you would've netted acceptances.

Hey now, your school name doesn't get sewn into your white coat. Those letters do. She's totally got her priorities straight.

I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have questioned Accepted Student Doctor MD GatorGirl23. I'll stay standing for the majority of the rounds now.

Yeah u loser, your only going to have DPM in your lab coat. What kind of doctor are you? MD or bust.

Meanwhile in the OR the podiatrist is fixing up an ankle fracture and the SGU grad is attempting to match family Med after three tries.

Yeah u loser, your only going to have DPM in your lab coat. What kind of doctor are you? MD or bust.

Meanwhile in the OR the podiatrist is fixing up an ankle fracture and the SGU grad is attempting to match family Med after three tries.

She's got a good GPA with a good MCAT.

Its her attitude. Hopefully St. George's and her entire career will be a humbling experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Why are you so against the Caribbean if people are cy getting matched in the S

Just curious, so where do you go to medical school?

I'm an agaisnt the carribean because I have personally seen people graduate with solid usmle scores and not match for three years strait at the clinic I volunteer at. She was literally working as a medical assistant to try and bone up her resume and make connections.

I am currently not in Med school. I got into a medical program tho (DPM) after being rejected from DO and MD school and swallowing my pride. It's actually shaping up to be a pretty good field and the prospects look great as far as residency goes.

She's got a good GPA with a good MCAT.

Its her attitude. Hopefully St. George's and her entire career will be a humbling experience.
I am very humble, but there is nothing wrong with being confident, especially when 10 people are basically trying to tell you that you suck. You guys are too funny, honestly. Get a life

Well good thing I want to do internal medicine and take over my uncle's concierge medical business lol

I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have questioned Accepted Student Doctor MD GatorGirl23. I'll stay standing for the majority of the rounds now.
lmao you are too funny, honestly. I get it, there's a lot of negative stigmas and negative facts about Carib MD, would it make you feel better if I say "Wow you are so right Carib MD is horrible I should just drop out and give up on my dreams." lmao. okay anyway I am done here, thanks for the laughs

Hey now, your school name doesn't get sewn into your white coat. Those letters do. She's totally got her priorities straight.
Because "MD" on my white coat is the sole reason I have worked my butt off to try and become a physician lmao oh yeah you know me and my story soo well. I think I am entitled to have one preference, and I prefer MD. I am honestly disappointed to see so much negativity and people condescending others who claim to be members of the medical field.

Yup wow you know me sooo well.

I didn't want to retake the MCAT because I don't want to waste anymore time and money on applications again. I don't have money to apply again. Why don't you take a step off your high horse and consider that people may be going through different circumstances than you did which brings them to the decisions they make.
Also, how about you go take DO Step 1 and MD Step 1 --like let's be real, no one wants to do that. And if you do, more power to you. It doesn't make me or anyone "any less intelligent" because I choose to not want to over stress myself with preparing for 2 Step exams at the same time or that I choose to go to a Carib MD. It's the right choice for me, but not for everyone. Shoot if I don't get matched in 4 years, then you were all right how about that? lol but I'm confident will, and I'll let you know where I end up.