TCOM and TCU UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infiniteriseup

Reaction score
This thread has been posted in previous years but I wanted to make my own die to some specifics. I've wanted to go to TCOM for the past 5 years and got an acceptance, however I have the opportunity to go to TCU.

Pros of TCOM:
13k tuition vs like 55k
Been a dream schooli really align with their mission and love their connections and the work they do.
Great residenciesis established with test scores, matching, etc.
Doesn't require genetics (if I went to TCU I would have to take a semester of genetics, already graduated and working but could make it work)

Pros for TCU
MD vs DO (I align more with the DO mission, however I know that there is bias although I think it's not needed).
MD opens up chances for residencies (I plan going some sort of internal or cardiology)

Main driver has been price, but my advisor told me that they offer scholarships, so any insight on that would be cool too.

My heart says TCOM but I don't want fomo.

Members don't see this ad.

This has become a yearly discussion and it is quite the choice- 2020 Discussion | 2019 Discussion

Matching as a DO is undoubtedly tougher than MD. With step going P/F people are expecting these issues to persist. TCOM is one of the oldest and best DO schools in the nation and does have a track record of matching people reasonably well. It is also cheaper. Conversely, TCU is MD and will keep doors open that will be closed if you go to TCOM. Especially notable that specialties such as neurosurgery, dermatology, plastic surgery - are nearly off the table if you attend DO.

School mission means next to nothing and the "DO mindset" doesn't persist in practice. I'd also be surprised if TCU actually made you re-enroll for genetics, usually a letter stating "I am a non-trad with everything besides genetics" is enough for them to cave.

I want to match well in a competitive specialty. If I were in your shoes, I'd swallow the cost and go MD as an "investment" for my future. The calculus changes based on what your preferences are (for ex. primary care = go cheaper). Final note - schools do give scholarships, but these primarily happen before you actually go there. You should reach out to TCU fin aid. right now and tell them your situation, as opposed to committing and then hoping they give you a scholarship.

I hope this helps.
Thank you, it does help. I plan on going into internal medicine and then specializing but understand even that is harder as a DO. I guess when I say their mission I'm mostly considering their volunteer programs they are a part of and the work they do in the community. I plan to reach out to financial aid.

Reactions: 1 user
This has become a yearly discussion and it is quite the choice- 2020 Discussion | 2019 Discussion

Matching as a DO is undoubtedly tougher than MD. With step going P/F people are expecting these issues to persist. TCOM is one of the oldest and best DO schools in the nation and does have a track record of matching people reasonably well. It is also cheaper. Conversely, TCU is MD and will keep doors open that will be closed if you go to TCOM. Especially notable that specialties such as neurosurgery, dermatology, plastic surgery - are nearly off the table if you attend DO.

School mission means next to nothing and the "DO mindset" doesn't persist in practice. I'd also be surprised if TCU actually made you re-enroll for genetics, usually a letter stating "I am a non-trad with everything besides genetics" is enough for them to cave.

I want to match well in a competitive specialty. If I were in your shoes, I'd swallow the cost and go MD as an "investment" for my future. The calculus changes based on what your preferences are (for ex. primary care = go cheaper). Final note - schools do give scholarships, but these primarily happen before you actually go there. You should reach out to TCU fin aid. right now and tell them your situation, as opposed to committing and then hoping they give you a scholarship.

I hope this helps.

They will, indeed, make you re enroll for genetics. It is a requirement, no exceptions. I was a nontrad and had to take genetics and physiology before matriculating.

Reactions: 1 user