TCOM only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonascott

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in Aug. 1999 and unfortunately did very poorly. I was lucky to get an interview at my first choice school at TCOM and got placed on the Wait List. I retook the MCAT this past Aug. but I still won't get the results until mid-Oct. Since Tx has only one DO school I wasn't sure whether to apply to more DO schools out of state. I am worried about the out-of state issue. I know many schools prefer in-state residents. I have definitely re-applied to TCOM and I am still hoping to get in for the 2001 entering class. Although I have studied and studied for the past MCAT, I am afraid I stil did poorly. I have my fingers crossed for a beter score. Please let me know what your opinion is on where to apply to out-of-state with an ok MCAT score. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOM, WesternU/COMP, and Touro are all private schools. They give no preference to in state residents. All they care is that you are qualified and can pay the tuition (loans
smile.gif
)
I wouldn't hold my breath with TCOM. Thanks to the Hopwood case which legalized racism you don't have a very good chance there unless you're white. Goodluck.

Sorry, can't let that one slide by...the entering class of 2000 (to graduate TCOM in 2004) is comprised of 67% white, the rest being a variety of ethnicities. Our class is very diverse not only in race, but in many other aspects as well. People in Texas are admitted to schools based on their merits, and I don't think most people have a problem with that. Let's not start a flame war about this...I just thought you might like to know the stats at TCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kristi:
Sorry, can't let that one slide by...the entering class of 2000 (to graduate TCOM in 2004) is comprised of 67% white, the rest being a variety of ethnicities. Our class is very diverse not only in race, but in many other aspects as well. People in Texas are admitted to schools based on their merits, and I don't think most people have a problem with that. Let's not start a flame war about this...I just thought you might like to know the stats at TCOM.

It is nice you defend the school, but I would like an answer from you since you are a student there. So, do I apply to others too...or not?

I honestly think you have a better chance at TCOM than many other out of state schools, and you'll certainly pay less in tuition if you go here. If you apply only to TCOM, you're competing with other Texans for 118 of their seats. The others are filled by out-of-state applicants. If you apply to out-of-state schools, you'll be competing against people from 49 other states for the seats available, which reduces your chances. I hope that makes sense.

Are you sure you want to apply only to DO schools? Or did you apply to all the Texas schools? What is your idea of a bad MCAT score? Honestly, it's getting a little late in the application cycle to try to put together applications to other schools. If some aspects of your application aren't optimal (like your MCAT and/or GPA), your chances of interviewing out-of-state aren't very strong for an application this late. I know you want to get into medical school ASAP, but if it were me, I'd hang tight another year. TCOM might come through--you don't have your MCAT back yet, and being wait-listed there last year is a good sign for this year.

One important thing that schools look at if you have applied before is whether or not you've done anything in the interim to make yourself a better candidate. One of the ways you can do that is by improving your MCAT, but you can also get more clinical experience, do some research, find a significant volunteer/community experience, etc. Yes, I think you greatly increase your chances by applying to schools other than just one. It's like the Lotto...you can't win if you don't play. The thing it comes down to is this: are you a competitive applicant regardless of your MCAT score? If everything else on your application is impeccable, you might consider applying elsewhere. If it's not, then wait and make some improvements.

Let me know if this has been helpful. I can email you later if you want.

Originally posted by Kristi:
Are you sure you want to apply only to DO schools? Or did you apply to all the Texas schools? What is your idea of a bad MCAT score?....Let me know if this has been helpful. I can email you later if you want.[/B]
Actually, I applied to almost all of the Tx med schools through the Texas appication system. I would like to stay in state if possible, but I am willing to make a major move for a great education so I have thought about doing AMCAS and AACOMAS, too. As far as your question re: bad scores...well, it seems I have always done well in school but never scored whay would be equivalent on comprehensive tests such as the MCAT, GRE, SAT, ACT....even with the Kaplan MCAT prep course. I am a mom and find it difficult to work full-time, study full time and neglect my kid. So, anyway please feel free to e-mail if you have the time. I am looking for all the advice I can get to get into med school especially TCOM. I appreciate your advice.
[email protected]

Tonascott,

Give the admissions department a call and try to get some names of docs at TCOM you can "shadow" for a day as a premed. I've seen some premeds following first-year students to class and lab to get a sense of the lifestyle...you might try that too. Ask for letters of rec. from the docs you shadow at TCOM. Good luck.

Tonya:

First of all, I think it is a little late in the application process to think about putting together new applications. However, it is not an end all, some D.O. schools interview well into the spring. With that said, I am not quite sure why your dream school is TCOM. Is it because you really want to go to a D.O. over M.D? Or is it because of some other reason, e.g. location, school personality, size?

Before I go on, let me give you my perspective so you know where I am coming from. I am a 28 y/o nontraditional-student with a physician-extender background in the military. I am currently a supervisor in the ER and UCC of my reserve unit which supports Brooke Army Medical Center. I have a number of DO/MD mentors in the military, but when I left active duty to pursue my medical school prerequisites full-time, I was not quite sure where I wanted to go. However, as time went on at UTSA, my minor in community health (among other things) reaffirmed my interest in family practice, community medicine and public health. That led to my increasing interest in D.O. schools (realize that these reasons are not the only ones to go to a DO school, by any means). I felt a D.O. institution would better foster my goals and furthermore, I really like osteopathic philosophies and practices. Turns out TCOM, is about the most perfect school I could wish for. However, I want to make sure that there are not others. With that, I focused on eight other D.O. schools as well as UT-San Antonio and UT-Houston (MD/MPH options).

This is not set in stone, but if you received an interview at TCOM last year, your GPA and MCAT had to be deemed academically eligible. What contributed to your wait-listing is PROBABLY your application as a whole. Did you visit with or phone conference with the admissions department after you wait-listed? They could have told you their reasons for wait-listing you and suggest what to improve upon. I would have to find more out about you first, but if your first MCAT got you waitlisted, you may just need to focus on other areas. How did your interview go? How much of a commitment to medical school do you have? Did you express reservations about whether or not having children would interfere with your studies? If that is the cause, Kristi is definitely one the persons to talk to, she has handled the marriage/kid thing well the last couple of years?
As far as D.O. schools go, I applied to TCOM, DMU, UHS, MSU, NOVA-Southeastern, AZCOM, LECOM and UNDNJ (by the way, my numbers are not 4.0 and 30+ by any stretch of the imagination). So far, I received interviews at all except MSU and UMDNJ. Both of those are state schools and only take about ten out-of-staters a year. I also interviewed at UT-Houston and UT- San Antonio. By the way, UT-San Antonio is famous for looking pass numbers on nontraditional applicants. If you are strong in other areas, they will take a closer look at you. If I may reinforce my MCAT is not a deathblow pontification, these are the lowest MCAT?s I KNOW that received acceptances to the following schools: UTHSCSA, 19; Texas A&M, 25: Southwestern, 20; Baylor, 24; TCOM, 22. However, I can ensure you there were other aspects of these people?s applications that the adcoms looked favorably upon.

If you would like further humble advice, email me. I can give you a call and tell you whom I think you should talk to. I can also give my personal low down on the schools I applied to. If your first MCAT score was good enough to get you an interview, and the rest of your application is solid, you should be able to get in somewhere. You may even have a choice. You may also have to wait until next year and get your application in the first week of the cycle. The importance of an early application cannot be overstated. However, do not give up yet, this year is not over! Being a non-traditional student, the spouse of an R.N. and the fact that I have already interviewed at some schools and received an out-of-state acceptance (UHS), I may be able to relate to your issues. Let me know. I would be glad to help.

[... I may be able to relate to your issues. Let me know. I would be glad to help.[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your input. I can say I have had so much positive feedback from the pre-osteopath and osteopath students. If you do not mind, I will send you a line...or two. Thanks again.

I'm a student at WesternU. Yes even though I paid taxes in TX I was not able to attend a public school there. So, I have to pay $80,000 more than you TCOMers over the next four years. (My MCAT was 31 and I have an M.S. from Texas A&M).
Now, let me add that of the 6 other Texans that I have met here, every single one of them is from a minority group. Where are all the caucasians? I guess they're in Texas, receiving a subsidized education. Good luck with those perpetual illusions you cling to.

Originally posted by drusso:

..try to get some names of docs at TCOM you can "shadow" for a day as a premed. I've seen some premeds following first-year students to class and lab to get a sense of the lifestyle...you might try that too.[/B]
Drusso,
I have gotten one letter from a DO (a TCOM grad),MD,and also the my pre-med committee letter for my letter of recomendations this year already ...I think I will try shadowing a med student as you suggest...I hope I get to follow a student as nice as the people from TCOM that are replying to my qusetions....Thanks
smile.gif