TDK "how do I write X?" LOI, update letter, thank you, withdrawal, in the area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@Guero wrote a post about this in 2013 but seeing that 8 years have passed, I thought it was time to provide some updated formats. As Guero says, you should use these with tacit, guiding your own original letters; do not plagiarize. Feel free to PM me with specific questions or to have me add an additional template to the original post. Best of luck to you all - you'll make fantastic future physicians! :partyblob:

LOI:
TDK
AMCAS ID# 123456789
Abc Road
City, State Zipcode
Date

X School of Medicine
City, State Zipcode​

X School of Medicine Admissions & Admissions Committee,

I wanted to thank you for considering my application and for an amazing interview day on X. I am writing this letter of intent to reiterate that X School of Medicine is my top choice for medical school and if accepted, I would withdraw from my other MD acceptances and waitlists.

I genuinely believe that I would be a great fit at X School of Medicine. In choosing a medical school, a priority for me is attending a place where I will be happiest and supported while also being posed for success with my career goals. During my interview in X, I was astounded at the opportunities available to medical students outside of the classroom, particularly the special programs offered, etc. and research. Above all, I felt a sense of belonging at X as a student; this is not even mentioning the proximity to my support system in X. As someone who hopes to practice medicine in X in the future as a physician, X is my first choice for my medical education. I believe the resources here will allow me to become both the physician and person that I strive to become.

I have yet to encounter another school as dedicated to training empathetic, compassionate, and well-rounded physicians as X . This was immediately evident when I saw X's staunch commitment to its (insert whatever programs here, etc.). My volunteer experiences with (wherever you've volunteered) have deepened my recognition of human suffering, heightened my awareness of personal privilege, and ignited my passion for social justice. Thus, I believe that my strong research background and interest in helping the underserved in the area through the X Clinic, along with my passion for social justice has prepared me to be a leader at X School of Medicine.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
TDK

WITHDRAWAL Pre-II:

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to request that my application be formally withdrawn.

Thank you for the invitation and consideration,
TDK
AAMC ID# 12345678

WITHDRAWAL AFTER ACCEPTANCE:

Dear X College of Medicine Admissions,

This email indicates my desire to formally withdraw my acceptance from X College of Medicine. Thank you for the opportunity you offered me. I wish you all the best going forward.

--
Regards,
TDK

THANK YOU LETTER:
Medical student:

Dear X,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your hectic second-year schedule to interview me yesterday. I appreciated your candid feedback about X School of Medicine and the opportunities available to students, like the (list things here). I enjoyed our conversation about X and our shared interests. I wish you the best of luck throughout the rest of this year and medical school going forward.

Sincerely,
TDK

ADCOM:
Dr. X,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to interview me today at X. I very much enjoyed hearing your perspective on the collaborative environment of the school, the opportunities for research, and the ability to serve the community I grew up in. Also, thank you for sharing with me about your (insert personal connection here)

Your dedication to both mentorship and making sure students are able to integrate what they learn in your lectures with the other lectures is inspiring and admirable. The interdisciplinary approach and collaborative nature of the school give students what they need to be competent and empathetic future physicians and this reified for me that X is a school where I can make an impact and flourish. I hope to see you next summer as an incoming MS1.

Sincerely,
TDK

IN THE AREA:
Dear X School of Medicine Office of Admissions,

I am currently scheduled to be in the X area for an interview (list dates here).
I understand that you only interview a limited number of qualified applicants and that many of the early interview spots may be already filled. However, if I am fortunate enough to currently be under consideration for an interview at X School of Medicine, I was wondering if it would be possible to schedule it in that general time frame to avoid the cost of multiple flights to the area, as well as to minimize time spent away from work.

I realize that this is relatively short notice and if I am not able to interview at this time, if necessary, I would be happy to travel to X again in the future.
Thank you for your help and consideration.

Sincerely,
TDK
AMCAS #12345678

GUERO'S UPDATE LETTERS:
letter 1:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to inform the admissions committee that I have received notice that my recent primary-author project was accepted for publication in Nature as of October 15th, 2012:

Guero GG & Crick F. (In press.). DNA rocks your socks off: Recombinance of pedal sliperiness.

I hope that this update will assist the committee's decision process and look forward to receiving notice when my review is complete.

Sincerely,

Your Dearest Guero
---------------------------

Update Letter + LOI:

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017
Tipsyville Vegas, NV 85724

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently received grades from my final semester: X in my Y and Z courses. In addition to this update, I would like to take one last opportunity to briefly reiterate that X remains my top choice. After X interviews and X acceptances, I now firmly believe that no other school will better educationally and professionally prepare me for residency by providing me with the necessary exposure to choose between a career in either rural or inner city medicine in the West. I only hope that the committee sees in me what I see in this school and its unique opportunities. Regardless of the outcome, I would like to thank everyone involved in this grueling and emotional process for their time and effort in evaluating the thousands of well qualified students vying for admission.

Sincerely,

Your Dearest Guero

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user