TDYs for AF flight docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF M4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just getting in-processed at my first active duty base and while everyone here has been friendly, well, the surrounding area's quite isolated and there's not much to do unless you've got three hours to kill driving. Everyone I've talked to here mentions that boredom is going to be a big thing to dodge. Anyway, I now have plenty of time to work out and think of hobbies to pursue, but I was also talking with one of the other flight docs here and he showed me his binder filled with various certificates of completion from various TDYs that he's done. He talked about a couple and indicated that I would be going on TDYs often.

So given that I'm single with no dependents, have a lot of time on my hands and not much to do locally, I'm perfectly willing (and quite frankly eager) to get out of here as much as possible. Any recommendations on the various different training/educational experiences that are out there for flight docs and how to get the ball rolling on getting them? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Any recommendations on the various different training/educational experiences that are out there for flight docs and how to get the ball rolling on getting them? Thanks.

What command are you in? ACC/AFMC/AETC?

Some thoughts...

1) Global Medicine was a really good TDY. Very educational, located at Brooks AFB

2) You are usually allowed one non-military educational CME per year, so take advantage of that (i.e. AAFP, AOA, ASA, whatever). In addition to this, try to apply for the AFIT quota when this comes out, so you can easily get your yearly CMEs

3) If you are single, deployments are a great way to get a lot of money and leave the everyday grind of the Flight Med Clinic that wears you down (and I guarantee it will). If I was single, I would be volunteering as much as possible

4) I still have not gone on the Accident Investigation course at Brooks, but I have already done one AIB at Nellis AFB. I liked doing this a lot. Volunteer for these whenever they come up.

5) The C4 course was just OK. Not much to really say about this field course, but you also get ATLS certified during this course so it is worth it.

6) I've heard from people that have gone to the yearly Flight Med conference that they are very good, but can't really comment on these.

7) Are you attached to a flying squadron? If so, get in good with the DO and try to "tag along" for some of their TDYs like air shows, tail swaps, and other operational TDYs

8) Have not done the EMEDS course, but heard it is one of the most deployment relevant courses for Flight Surgeons (Definitely more so than the C4 course)

All I can think of for right now. My advice is take advantage of as many TDYs that are offered. Your training and education department, in addition to the course coordinator (at Brooks, for example) should be able to assist with the different forms. Hope this helps.