stat3113

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
I'm a graduating senior with a long-term goal of medical school. I still have Organic II and 1 sem Bio to go before finishing the prereqs. Obviously, I have not taken MCAT. My GPA is not competitive for med school.

Here are my options:

1) Do Teach for America, teaching math for 2 years in an underprivileged high school. During that time period, finish the prereqs, try to take crap to boost the gpa, and take the MCAT. Then apply to enter med school.

OR

2) Enroll in a MS/PHD program in Biostatistics. Meanwhile, finish prereqs and take MCAT. Apply to med school after 1 year of the program. (Then try to work out a dual degree if I get into med school hopefully.)

I very much prefer #2 and my main motivation for #1 is that I've been told that it increases your chances of getting into a good med school drastically. That it really helps you stand out and show that you are committed to improving the world, etc, etc. lol. That's not the only motivation, I still would like to teach children in need, but I'd rather go to grad school.

The question: Thinking SOLELY of my chances of getting into med school, all else being equal, out of these two options, is one better than the other?

Thanks for your feedback.

pretenda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If your GPA is not up to par and you want to attend an allopathic school your only choice is number 2. However more meaningful and important TFA is it will not make up for a "poor" GPA.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If your GPA is not up to par and you want to attend an allopathic school your only choice is number 2. However more meaningful and important TFA is it will not make up for a "poor" GPA.
Seconded. Though I'd consider a postbac rather than a master's. You can take some upper division classes in your postbac to make up for the lower grades.

About the Ads

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Well, we don't know how bad the op's gpa is, and one big thing to note is that graduate grades don't raise your ugrad gpa, which is main gpa schools care about. If the op could reasonably raise his/her gpa by finishing his prereqs and taking some extra ugrad classes, it might be a better idea. If the op really needs to do major work on the gpa, he/she should probably be looking at smp programs instead of a more traditional graduate program since again schools don't care that much about graduate grades.

Also, the op needs to be 100% committed to finishing any program he/she starts, which is the downside of jumping into a true graduate program.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Unless you are applying to texas schools, grad school grades don't raise your gpa. For texas, a grad school gpa of 4.0 will raise you about .1-.3 depending on how many credits.

I wouldn't sacrifice my grad school for antyhing in the world, it was the best time I had in school. In fact, if I could go back in time and change things, I wouldn't fix my crappy gpa because it took the grad program for me to grow as a student and mature

may not be the same for you, but at the very least u seem to already know grad school is the way you want to go

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.