Teach for America vs. Basic Science Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiwiSpice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior with offers for Teach for America (2 years) and working as a research assistant in a basic science lab (1-2 years). Both are things I am passionate about and honestly I wish I could do both.

A little background about me:
-published multiple times during undergrad
-on e-board of several service clubs and have done 200+ hours non-medical volunteering

I am aware of the anti-TFA argument so please don't turn this thread into a "TFA is bad because blah blah blah" bc trust me, I am aware and educational inequity is still something that I really care about and I believe in TFA's positive intentions. The research assistant position has potential to publish me 5+ in a year. Also, I don't really care if I take 1 or 2 gap years. I just need help deciding if my research background is decent enough for medical medical so that I can do TFA or if my research is still weak and I should work as a research assistant. Yeah there's no such thing as too much or enough research, but would picking one or other make me a significantly stronger applicant?

I'm really torn over this because I truly want to do both. Any advice would be helpful thx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't do TFA if you don't want to be a teacher. It's not a good thing to do for "gap years." If you go to school every day with an end date in mind, you will be miserable.

Med schools do love former TFAers though.

Reactions: 1 users
I took 2 gap years and I HIGHLY recommend it. In the first year you can focus on your job, focus on living in the real world, etc ... because the second year will be consumed by the med school process. Missing work for interviews in the fall/winter, and then maybe more in the spring. I work with an AmeriCorps program that has me in more of a mentoring position than a teaching position (which, I actually highly recommend, if you want to PM me about it I'd love to chat more!) and I am just really happy that I took two years to do this. I am left so, so excited to return to school.

Also, which would you regret NOT doing more? Twenty years from now, will you have gained more working with TFA for two years or doing research for a year (or two)? Which will you NOT really be able to do as a doctor? Can you tell where I am leaning for you?! :)

I think they're both well-regarded, even for research-oriented schools. Both will give you good things to write & talk about.

That being said, they're vastly different jobs, especially in terms of what you do day to day. I'm in the middle of my gap year(s), and I will say that my job, and what I do day-to-day, has a really big impact on my happiness and general mood. So, I highly advise you think about what you will enjoy doing and want to wake up and do every single day, instead of what will boost your application the most. Or else, you're gonna have a miserable gap year.

• Love