Teachers College - MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunkyst11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the Teachers College Masters program in Clinical Psychology? I applied to their clinical PhD program and although I did not even get an interview I got an acceptance letter for the MA program the other day.

As of now I am on the waiting list at three other doctoral programs and am waiting to hear from three more (albeit not very optimistically at this point). If I end up getting an offer from one of those places I will definitely take it, but if not, would the Teachers College MA program be a good back up option? To give you some context I graduated college in 2004 and have been working at children's mental health clinic since then. Additionally, for the past 1.5 years I have worked about 1 day a week in a psych lab at a local university, and I obtained about 2 years of experience as a research assistant while in college.

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same position and looked into the TC MA. It states that it does not prepare you for licensure in NY, so I don't feel like it would be worth it for me. I guess it depends on what you would want to get out of it.

i dont know anyone who has had a positive experience with TC (and i've come across MANY)

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is for the MA in general psychology then I remember 2yrs ago when I was applying to MA programs and I had set up an open house with admissions for more info. I was both shocked and grateful at how upfront the admissions person was. She basically said that it is not worth going there for the MA because of the price tag on it, that people come here because of the name and that is why the price is so jacked up.

Teacher's College does not have that great of a reputation (at least in psychology, numerous advisors/professors/students have said this). I would suggest going for an MA where you would have various opportunities available to you such as more research experience (though it seems like you have enough, but perhaps try a different area of research?), teaching opportunities (TAships are great), and coursework in various psy areas with a more affordable price. Maybe request consideration into the MA in the programs you applied to for the PhD if they don't end up working out. Like you said you are still waiting for a response so there may still be hope :)

Hi, I completed my MA at Teachers College this past spring and will be attending George Washington's PsyD program this fall. I think TC's masters program is useful as a stepping stone towards further graduate study, but it is important to note that it is not a program leading to licensure. There is however a two-year MA in counseling that does lead to licensure, and this seems to be a very efficient route if you know you'd like to practice as soon as possible. For me, TC's program was a very fast, thorough program that got me in and out with a masters in one year. I also disagree that it doesn't have a good reputation - if you're going out into the workplace (non-psych), or plan on any consulting down the road, I think any ivy-league masters degree (Columbia University!) doesn't hurt.

Does anyone know anything about the M.A. program in Psychology and Education: Applied Track?

Hi, I completed my MA at Teachers College this past spring and will be attending George Washington's PsyD program this fall. I think TC's masters program is useful as a stepping stone towards further graduate study, but it is important to note that it is not a program leading to licensure. There is however a two-year MA in counseling that does lead to licensure, and this seems to be a very efficient route if you know you'd like to practice as soon as possible. For me, TC's program was a very fast, thorough program that got me in and out with a masters in one year. I also disagree that it doesn't have a good reputation - if you're going out into the workplace (non-psych), or plan on any consulting down the road, I think any ivy-league masters degree (Columbia University!) doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the feedback about the Teachers College MA program...However, I just got accepted off of the waiting list to my first choice doctoral program, so I don't have to worry about this decision any longer!:D

greenfieldPSY...I was accepted to the MA at TC and am trying to decide whether or not to go (and whether it is worth the price). Wondering if I could get more info about the program from you...