Teachers in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdclled

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound like a dumb question to those of you in med school, but are med school professors in the first 2 years physicians? It doesnt seem like you would need a physician to teach biochem for instance.

Members don't see this ad.

Some are physicians. You will notice most of the professors (in my school anyway) are PhD's during the biochem course. This provides for some of the dryest talk and subject matter that a student has ever been subjected to. Fun!

cdclled said:
This is going to sound like a dumb question to those of you in med school, but are med school professors in the first 2 years physicians? It doesnt seem like you would need a physician to teach biochem for instance.

In my experience, better than half (particularly in courses like biochem) seem to be PhDs. Which isn't always a good thing because some have a very low tolerance for med students, particularly on grading issues. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
almost all your classes will have Phd's with MD's providing the clinical aspect of the subject.

ie. for biochem the core lectures were Phd's, but an MD provided the chemotherapy clinical correlate. same for anatomy, etc.

oh sure, biochem phd's can be dry... but then again some of us sick puppies who majored in biochem in undergrad LIKE metabolic pathways *heh* i'm so ashamed. its like a zen thing. just focus on the changing molecule and clear your mind... ommmm ;)

Most of your classes as a 1st year will probably be PhD's as a first year.... the problem with them is that they don't know what is really important as a doctor, so they tend to focus on minutia and/or research. If an MD focuses on something during one of their lectures than you can put your money on it that it will be important. Fortunately, once your hit second year, most of your lectures will probably be MD's.