Teaching Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quantumhead

Verrucas Vulgaris
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, how many of you would consider teaching?

When? Right after you graduated or after a while in practice?

Would loan reimbursement sway you any toward teaching after graduation?

What other types of programs do you think would be successful in drawing teachers?

Last, what is your favorite color and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I would *love* to teach, but there would have to be a pretty nice package in place to lure me.

Loan reimbursement would help, but the 45-60k salary in place for the majority of dentists in the academic setting just wouldn't cut if for my family and me.

Serious reforms need to take place in this area (as I am sure we all know). My health professions advisor is constantly passing around information regarding DSTP (similar to the med student MSTP), dual degrees, etc.

The benefits just aren't there right now -- and especially not if full loan reimbursement isn't in place!

I would teach & do research if I graduate from a cheap state school. If I had a $200,000 loan, I will have to work for a few years before I can even think about it

Definitely, but not full time only as an adjunct, also not immediately after, I would like to have at least 15-20 years of experience first, then yeah, I think it would be very rewarding. As long as they pay you a nominal salary.....you know pay for your lunch and a good parking spot I would. :wink: