Teaching English in China

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zakzak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wrote a post similar to this before, but wanted to add specifics this time (the other was more general).

I am planning on teaching English in China from July 2018-July 2019.
A couple of concerns

1) Would med schools look down on me or my application for doing this instead of a clinical-based job. I have clinical experience (probably 400 hrs at the moment), but its a gap year before medical school (hopefully), and I wanted to do something different.

2) Can I access AMCAS from China?

Side note: I would plan on finishing MCAT and getting score BEFORE heading to China (Taking May or june mcat)

To be more specific: I would go to China July 2018-July 2019 (may actually be back by May 2019, depending on the contract). I intend to apply for med school during the 2019-2020 cycle. (so I would submit AMCAS apps June 2019). The only months I would be gone would be June and early July.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) No. I did not have a clinical based job, took multiple gap years, and had no issue

2) Yes

Your bigger concern is if you apply while in China, having to travel back and forth between the US and China

Reactions: 1 user
I would be back in the US before med school interviews. I would submit application in June (via AMCAS, so they could send it July). In July, I would end my job in China and come back to US before having to do interviews (if I am fortunate enough to get interviews).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be back in the US before med school interviews. I would submit application in June (via AMCAS, so they could send it July). In July, I would end my job in China and come back to US before having to do interviews (if I am fortunate enough to get interviews).
This works if you were sending amcas in 2019, is that your plan? Sorry the dates are confusing.

As I tell every applicant, applying to medical school should be considered a full time job from mid May thru at least August if not September with primary application and 10-25 or more secondary application. To be out of the country for the year, especially with the “backend” items such as interviews, FAFSA, and if accepted, medical forms, transcripts, housing, is a risk that students should not take. I would advise highly not to apply until next cycle where you will be at least back for most of the cycle
I should have made this more clear. I would go to China July 2018-July 2019 (may actually be back by May 2019, depending on the contract). I am applying for med school during the 2019-2020 cycle. (so I would submit AMCAS apps June 2019). By chance, with this new clearly time lines I have given, could you help answer the questions I posted?

This works if you were sending amcas in 2019, is that your plan? Sorry the dates are confusing.
I should have made this more clear. I would go to China July 2018-July 2019 (may actually be back by May 2019, depending on the contract). I am applying for med school during the 2019-2020 cycle. (so I would submit AMCAS apps June 2019). By chance, with this new clearly time lines I have given, could you help answer the questions I originally posted?

I am currently doing something similar and here in Asia right now, PM me if you want some pointers.

I should have made this more clear. I would go to China July 2018-July 2019 (may actually be back by May 2019, depending on the contract). I am applying for med school during the 2019-2020 cycle. (so I would submit AMCAS apps June 2019). By chance, with this new clearly time lines I have given, could you help answer the questions I originally posted?
Yeah interviews won’t start until late August at the earliest so you’d be fine.

Could anyone else address the concerns I have?

1) Would med schools look down on me or my application for doing this instead of a clinical-based job. I have clinical experience (probably 400 hrs at the moment), but its a gap year before medical school (hopefully), and I wanted to do something different.

I can't speak to accessing AMCAS in China but it sounds like a cool experience!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Do you know what you are going to do yet? I am looking at a program in China for two weeks doing a shadow program and you might be interested since you will already be in China anyway.

Could anyone else address the concerns I have?

I don't know about your first question, but as for your second question, I remember I had no problem accessing MSAR in China this winter, so I'd assume the same thing for AMCAS.

Gmail is blocked though, but I was able to get around by using a VPN. It was concerning because I was trying to email an admission committee, and I was not sure if my email went through or not. SDN was fine, but I did have to type into verification codes to get access whenever I opened a new page.

I do like to bring up that Google is blocked (again, you will most likely get around by using a VPN). It can be very inconvenient because the Chinese search engines are not that great. I think you can still access most of the school websites, but it might take a significantly longer time for the page to load.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Edits: I'd like to emphasize the fact that I submitted my AMCAS and spent most time of my application season in the U.S. and only went China for 2 weeks in February, so my experience may not be reflective of what you will have.