General Admissions & OTCAS Teaching Experience: Is it strictly only an academic setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Subjective

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to know if a Sunday school teacher's assistant would fall under a teaching experience? I designed a lesson plan with other teachers, and assistants, teaching 3rd graders consistently for about a year or so; lessons were things like Bible stories, followed by an arts and crafts section that integrated the lesson. I also coordinated with parents in term of the children's behavior and skills. Am I completely misunderstanding what characterizes teaching experience, and crazy for assuming this counts?

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno, that seems fine to me, but do you think it'd be inappropriate to talk about religion in your application?

I dunno, that seems fine to me, but do you think it'd be inappropriate to talk about religion in your application?
Church activities, whether actual paid jobs or volunteer type positions, are not inappropriate to list on an application if they are relevant experiences. It shows involvement in your community, which just happens to be through a religious organization. I don't know if I'd consider Sunday school real "teaching" experience since I'm guessing it's more of a volunteer-type position, but the OP can still include it. At any rate, it's not the same as "talking about religion"; now, if the OP goes and proselytizes to their classmates and patients, or if their entire admissions essay talks about how God told them to be an OT or something like that, then that would be inappropriate. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input guys. Proselytizing is not my intention in any way haha :oops:. Yeah I had the feeling it adhered more to volunteer experience, rather than teaching experience as it seemed more academic , just wanted to ask what you guys thought.

I was planning on listing the fact that I taught swim lessons to special needs students and also taught lifeguarding to certify junior lifeguards (both paid). I was planning on listing under "teaching experience."
Would this be appropriate?

Hey guys wanted to know if a Sunday school teacher's assistant would fall under a teaching experience? I designed a lesson plan with other teachers, and assistants, teaching 3rd graders consistently for about a year or so; lessons were things like Bible stories, followed by an arts and crafts section that integrated the lesson. I also coordinated with parents in term of the children's behavior and skills. Am I completely misunderstanding what characterizes teaching experience, and crazy for assuming this counts?

This sounds like teaching to me and I'd feel fine about listing it as such. No matter where you choose to list it, describe the planning, the classroom management, the craft instruction, and the parent involvement.

I was planning on listing the fact that I taught swim lessons to special needs students and also taught lifeguarding to certify junior lifeguards (both paid). I was planning on listing under "teaching experience."

Also sounds good. Just explain how it was teaching.

Reactions: 1 user