Teaching for PR/Kaplan/etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxprime

Higgs chaser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching, but did a bad job or there isn't much about this. My Q's:

1) You can stop here if this is a deal-breaker. I don't have a degree in any of the MCAT sciences (BS math, BA econ), you couldn't pay me enough to teach verbal (I want to teach bio) - will they allow this?

2) Any preferences/experiences on who is best to work for?

3) Should I avoid this like the plague? I enjoy teaching and $20/hr wouldn't hurt - I'm pretty fresh on material and I took a PR course so I won't have to do too much lecture prep.

4) Stats-wise, do they care about anything other than your score? I pulled a 40 (11/15/14) so I'm not too concerned about passing on numbers . . . unless I need a stupid bio degree. (Stupid b/c I don't have one - not stupid to have, I'm aware of where I'm posting this :) )

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My cousin teaches for Kaplan and didn't do anywhere near as good as you did. I believe their requirement is that you have to have an 11 on each section that you teach but they even relax that at times. They basically have you audition, and then do training sessions, and then teach. He seems to like it. The nice perk for Kaplan is that you get paid for preparation/study time as well (at minimum wage, but still) as well as teaching time. They also paid for him to study for and take the DAT so he could teach those classes as well. He is basically teaching 40 hrs/week for them at the moment, and makes something like 40k/yr or so.

Kaplan generally hires "generalists" Meaning you would have to teach every single subject. If you want to teach just Bio your best best would be to stick with Princeton Review. The money is good, it can take a lot of hours your first time through to prepare though. My first class for Kaplan was a summer class so I had to teach 3 nights a week and that was kind of a lot for the first class. PM me if you have any questions!