megaman1x

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone,

I have a question, but before I ask it, here's some background info about myself:

My parents immigrated to Canada long before I was born. My two older sisters and I all were born here in Canada and have visited India quite a few times and we always enjoy ourselves.

I've been accepted into a Canadian Medical school and I will be starting this upcoming August (2006). My eldest sister is now a teacher and my other older sister is in business adminstration. My parents never pushed us into any career path whatsoever. We all chose what we like and my parents are glad.

ANYWAYS....my mom is planning on another trip to India in June 2007. She asked if I would like to come along. My first year of med school finishes mid-May 2007 so I would be free to come along. I figured while I'm with her in India, I might as well choose to do an elective at a hospital in India. Specifically we will be in Punjab, near Jalandhar. Are there any hospitals in this area which would be happy to accept a Canadian medical student? I want to shadow some Emergency Room doctors while I'm there. Why? I want to broaden my horizons. After that, if a doctor decides to take me on will be contacted by my university and would be required to provide some feedback on my performance and learning. This then would go into my file and be saved for future reference when applying to residency.

So I figured I might as well combine my vacation and education. A friend of mine already in his second year of medicine went to South Africa and did the same thing. He said he had an amazing experience.

So pretty much I'm wondering if there are any good hospitals in Punjab (specifically Jalandhar) which I could look into? I can speak Punjabi quite well so language barriers are of no real concern.

Thanks guys and girls!

TheWowEffect

The Official WowRator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Look around yourself
Status
Attending Physician
megaman1x said:
Hey everyone,

I have a question, but before I ask it, here's some background info about myself:

My parents immigrated to Canada long before I was born. My two older sisters and I all were born here in Canada and have visited India quite a few times and we always enjoy ourselves.

I've been accepted into a Canadian Medical school and I will be starting this upcoming August (2006). My eldest sister is now a teacher and my other older sister is in business adminstration. My parents never pushed us into any career path whatsoever. We all chose what we like and my parents are glad.

ANYWAYS....my mom is planning on another trip to India in June 2007. She asked if I would like to come along. My first year of med school finishes mid-May 2007 so I would be free to come along. I figured while I'm with her in India, I might as well choose to do an elective at a hospital in India. Specifically we will be in Punjab, near Jalandhar. Are there any hospitals in this area which would be happy to accept a Canadian medical student? I want to shadow some Emergency Room doctors while I'm there. Why? I want to broaden my horizons. After that, if a doctor decides to take me on will be contacted by my university and would be required to provide some feedback on my performance and learning. This then would go into my file and be saved for future reference when applying to residency.

So I figured I might as well combine my vacation and education. A friend of mine already in his second year of medicine went to South Africa and did the same thing. He said he had an amazing experience.

So pretty much I'm wondering if there are any good hospitals in Punjab (specifically Jalandhar) which I could look into? I can speak Punjabi quite well so language barriers are of no real concern.

Thanks guys and girls!
Hi Megaman,

While there are good hospitals in Jallandhar, there is no teaching hospital there. The closest cities that have one are Amritsar and Ludhiana.

Amritsar-Govt Medical College and Guru Ramdas Medical College.
Ludhiana- Dayanand Medical College(lot of NRIs there) and Christian Medical College.

Both these cities are close to Jallandhar, though I am not sure which one is closer.

I am happy to see someone who wishes to remain connected to his roots.

Good luck!!!

OP
M

megaman1x

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
TheWowEffect said:
Hi Megaman,

While there are good hospitals in Jallandhar, there is no teaching hospital there. The closest cities that have one are Amritsar and Ludhiana.

Amritsar-Govt Medical College and Guru Ramdas Medical College.
Ludhiana- Dayanand Medical College(lot of NRIs there) and Christian Medical College.

Both these cities are close to Jallandhar, though I am not sure which one is closer.

I am happy to see someone who wishes to remain connected to his roots.

Good luck!!!
Hey WowEffect,

I got some family in Amritsar too, so that would work out as well. So I'll check out both the Government Medical College and Guru Ramdas Medical College. I was starting to think nobody would respond, but thanks again man.

OP
M

megaman1x

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Actually I can't seem to find the official web pages for either location. Does anyone know the links to those two teaching hospitals (if one exists that is)?

TheWowEffect

The Official WowRator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Look around yourself
Status
Attending Physician
megaman1x said:
Actually I can't seem to find the official web pages for either location. Does anyone know the links to those two teaching hospitals (if one exists that is)?
Here is a link-

http://www.babafariduniv.com/COLLEGES/colleges.htm

All medical colleges in Punjab are under a university called Baba Farid University of Health Sciences. I don't think you'll find an exclusive website for the college.

M

MDJatt here

megaman1x said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks guys and girls!
well i guess the best possible thing you can think of doing while staying in Jalandhar is some kinda volunteer work, that can help you open up with a wide range of patients, maybe. And yea of course Jalandhar is a hub of hospitals, all in surplus........i no this cuz i ve my grandparents there and i no that city pretty well, they've got sum world class hospitals viz. BBC Heart Care, Satyam, Guru Nank Mission, and a lot more........endless list!!!
But again as the other guy mentioned, doing any electives does'nt seem to be a possibility.........thas all i can say.

simply_me

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
megaman1x said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks guys and girls!
hi megaman..

Glad to see that u want to combine ur education and ur trip to India... All the best...!!! there r tonness of hospitals in punjab where u can choose to volunteer though i dont know the specific names... but i m sure u'll find one...

Good luck once again!

OP
M

megaman1x

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
simply_me said:
hi megaman..

Glad to see that u want to combine ur education and ur trip to India... All the best...!!! there r tonness of hospitals in punjab where u can choose to volunteer though i dont know the specific names... but i m sure u'll find one...

Good luck once again!
Thanks. I just need to find a particular doctor who would be willing to fill out a form for my university. That way it'd be on file.