teaching @ Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lane

Passing gas
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got an e-mail today offering an audition to teach for Kaplan

i only got a 29R
happysad.gif

who says you have to be at least 90th percentile?
thefinger.gif

by the way, how much do they pay?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by lane
i got an e-mail today offering an audition to teach for Kaplan

i only got a 29R
happysad.gif

who says you have to be at least 90th percentile?
thefinger.gif

by the way, how much do they pay?

just because u audition doesnt mean u are hired. even someone who hasn't taken the mcats before can probably schedule an audition.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
just because u audition doesnt mean u are hired. even someone who hasn't taken the mcats before can probably schedule an audition.

true
happysad.gif

but they pursued me, not the other way around. i doubt they'd offer an audition if they had no intent on hiring, but i could be wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you earned a solid score in one particular section, I would not teach for Kaplan with an overall score less than 30. Students will ask you about your overall score at some point, and they expect high scores (Remember: students pay close to $1400 for the prep course and, therefore, they have high expectations).

The bottom line is that students are more inclined to follow the advice of a teacher with a 36 than a teacher with a 29. That's just the way it is.

(BTW, I'm an MCAT instructor at a Kaplan center in Texas.)

many people are invited to auditions if they didn't score in the overall 90th percentile as long as at least one section is above the 90th. Auditions are only the first step to getting hired. Many people are cut at the audition, and some are cut during training (after passing the audition). I train mcat teachers at a kaplan center so i know the ropes well!

Originally posted by elias514
Even if you earned a solid score in one particular section, I would not teach for Kaplan with an overall score less than 30. Students will ask you about your overall score at some point, and they expect high scores (Remember: students pay close to $1400 for the prep course and, therefore, they have high expectations).

The bottom line is that students are more inclined to follow the advice of a teacher with a 36 than a teacher with a 29. That's just the way it is.

(BTW, I'm an MCAT instructor at a Kaplan center in Texas.)

my instructor managed to not divulge his score...he said he'd get in trouble or something. we all knew it was BS but he taught us what we wanted to know so i could care less.

i was planning on traveling europe next summer but some cash may be nice for med school
happysad.gif

eh well...in any case, it's at least worth pursuing even if nothing comes of it

how did you they know what you scored?

They ask for a copy.

Either way, their pay was VERY low. Much less than I make tutoring high school students. One of their competitors made me a much better offer, and I work for them now.

Originally posted by noy
They ask for a copy.

Either way, their pay was VERY low. Much less than I make tutoring high school students. One of their competitors made me a much better offer, and I work for them now.

define VERY low
eek3.gif

Really? I thought they paid like $19/hour?

"low pay" would surprise me. the major test prep companies (i currently teach for one) are going to pay competitively, within the range of $15-$20/hr depending on location/demand/class being taught. some companies will pay for "prep time" (usually a couple of hours) before and after classes at a lower rate (i.e. $7/hour).

I earn $20 an hour as an MCAT teacher. But I'm in a major metropolitan area, and I imagine that it varies between $15 to $20. Also, teachers are instructed not to divulge their scores. Besides, I think it's in bad taste to tell students your score. What matters is how well you teach and whether or not you know what you're talking about.

The bottom line is this: If you're not comfortable talking about MCAT material in depth, then some of the students will eat you alive. Good luck :p

I thought I'd add that it's my understanding that you have to score an 11 or above in order to teach for Kaplan.

Originally posted by elias514

au contrare mon frer (or whatever)

As a Kaplan teacher in L.A. - I can tell you - the "kids" want someone who can teach them the material without boring them to death, someone who is always in their corner, telling them they can do this, keeping them motivated, and making them laugh. I do all these things and the only 36 in my life is my bra size. And they are perfectly "inclined" to follow my advice. I don't share what I got for obvious reasons, but everything I need to teach them is right in front of me, so it's not like it takes a neuroscientist to read from the book and hopefully understand it enough to pass on the info. If I don't know, I look it up. I get good evals from my students; I really want to see them do well.

Kaplan wants you to have gotten an 11 on a practice test to teach the section (not on the MCAT). I would not teach what I was not comfortable with, and my weak section was PS, so I said "screw that" and instead teach BS and VR.

It is not about having the highest numbers, it's about having personality and common sense. That's why they have you audition, and those of you with lower scores may become some of the best teachers they have.

I make a little more than $20/hour. Not that great, but it's nice to have a little extra in the bank. I'm not like the Kaplan spokesperson or anything but I think teaching has been valuable for me and I would encourage people to give it a shot.

Originally posted by Brickhouse
I do all these things and the only 36 in my life is my bra size.

:laugh: :laugh:

To all you Kaplan teachers out there - do you find that the three hours of prep time per lesson is not enough? For me to prepare with the detail I need to feel comfortable, I find I spend way more than 3 hours prepping (or prepping the TEL in Kaplan lingo).

Since I end up spending so much time preparing, this job has turned out to be less lucractive than I had initially antipicated. Anyone else have this experience?

You should not spend more than three hours prepping a lesson, man. Have some faith in your mastery of the material itself and your ability to teach it.

Having said that, here are a few pointers that might help you streamline your preparation for each lesson:

1) Highlight keywords, not whole sentences or phrases in the bubbles. The one exception to this rule is the highlighting of questions that you're supposed to ask the class.

2) Use the TEL as a PROMPT for your own explanation of the concepts. Often the TEL has good explanations and illustrations of concepts but not always. I think that the visual aids (figures, graphs, charts, etc.) are excellent in the TELs and, therefore, you should definitely include these visuals in your lectures. However, not all of the definitions and explanations of concepts in the TELs are great; consequently, I often substitute easier definitions (no fancy words) and more intuitive explanations during my lectures. When in doubt, anthropomorphize things--i.e., treat subjects of discussion (e.g., molecules) as human beings. For example, I often refer to halogens and other highly electronegative atoms as electron extorters. Sounds stupid, but it works.

3) Use an orange highlighter for questions, a yellow highlighter for everything else.

4) Use a red pen for the passages and the questions. Don't highlight any of the explanations for the answer choices, just write a brief rationale in your own words next to each answer choice (in red pen, of course).

5) Ask the class a lot of questions during the lecture. Get them involved. Instead of giving them the definition of induction, ask them for a definition. And make sure that people give a definition that reflects their own understanding of the subject, not some BS textbook definition. Preparation for a lecture that is decidedly Socratic takes less time than preparation for a pure presentation.

Hope these suggestions help a little.

Originally posted by ncalcate
To all you Kaplan teachers out there - do you find that the three hours of prep time per lesson is not enough? For me to prepare with the detail I need to feel comfortable, I find I spend way more than 3 hours prepping (or prepping the TEL in Kaplan lingo).

Since I end up spending so much time preparing, this job has turned out to be less lucractive than I had initially antipicated. Anyone else have this experience?

Initial prep of the materials does take a while, but after you've taught the lesson once, you just need to brush up a little . The fact that they just changed the format of the materials is kind of a bummer, though.