Lindyhopper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Status
I recently looked into teaching the MCAT for either the Kaplan or TPR. They both also offered an audition to teach their GRE prep course. Both explained that I could start sooner & have more flexibility.
Has anyone ever taught a GRE course? Is it at all interesting? Any input will be appreciated.
I currently TA an anatomy & physiology lab.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
I've taught both GRE and MCAT for Kaplan. The classes are completely different, as are the students in them. But I have to say that I enjoyed teaching GRE classes. They tend to be smaller and more laid back than MCAT classes. I'd suggest that you give it a try. You can cross train to teach MCAT later, and it's good for you to be able to teach for several different tests, because that way you'll be sure to always have steady work. There won't be much MCAT work between August and January, so that would be a good time to switch to GRE or DAT. Good luck with it.

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
QofQuimica said:
I've taught both GRE and MCAT for Kaplan. The classes are completely different, as are the students in them. But I have to say that I enjoyed teaching GRE classes. They tend to be smaller and more laid back than MCAT classes. I'd suggest that you give it a try. You can cross train to teach MCAT later, and it's good for you to be able to teach for several different tests, because that way you'll be sure to always have steady work. There won't be much MCAT work between August and January, so that would be a good time to switch to GRE or DAT. Good luck with it.
I'm not shocked, it isn't a bunch of premeds going apesh*t ;)

OP
L

Lindyhopper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Status
Thanks for the input. It's funny that the management type at the TPR kept warning me, "Those MCATers are High Stress, High Maintance". :scared: Oh well, something to look forward to.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Some of the MCAT students can be a bit high-strung, but I wouldn't call most of them high maintenance. And teaching MCAT students isn't anywhere near as stressful as teaching a university class, because you don't have to give them any grades. :laugh: Plus, they tend to be motivated to study and do the work because they care about doing well on the test. If you are still in college yourself (I was when I first started teaching), it can be a little intimidating to teach MCAT, because some of the students may know more than you do about biology and medicine, particularly if they're nontraditionals in some kind of health field who are going back for their MDs. So the best advice I can give you is to never BS the students. If you don't know the answer to a question, just say so, and tell them you'll find out and let them know at the next class. Good luck with teaching; it's a great job.