Teaching myself a language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ts1991

UKCOM 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I looked around for this topic before asking but couldn't find any answers. I'm wondering how proficient should you be in a foreign language before including it on an application (to med school)? I'm going through a beginners course I purchased and I am getting the basics down pretty good. However, I have no formal schooling on the subject. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you hold a conversation past the 'hello, how are you/what's your name' point without having a lot of 'uhh' or 'ums' where you try to think of the correct translation to say?

If so, then I'd say you're able to speak a different language, just don't put fluently. Put intermediate or something.

Hello, I looked around for this topic before asking but couldn't find any answers. I'm wondering how proficient should you be in a foreign language before including it on an application (to med school)? I'm going through a beginners course I purchased and I am getting the basics down pretty good. However, I have no formal schooling on the subject. What do you think?

You could do this...

Russian (Basic / Elementary Proficiency)
German (Intermediate / Conversational Proficiency)
French (Fluent, Native Proficiency)

You would pick basic etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
A language is not something you learn on your own. It is imperative to interact with others who use that language as a native user or primary user.

A language is not something you learn on your own. It is imperative to interact with others who use that language as a native user or primary user.
Yes you can ! I learned C and C++ ! I interacted with a compiler ;)

I'm saying this as someone conversational in both American Sign Language (pidgin signed English) and Spanish (Chicano dialect); use it or lose it.

I'm saying this as someone conversational in both American Sign Language (pidgin signed English) and Spanish (Chicano dialect); use it or lose it.

I agree with you !! as a bilingual ive pretty much lost one of languages I grew up speaking :(

In the past, you were simply asked to list the languages that you were fluent in. However, this year, the application changed to allow you to list your proficiency using a drop-down list of terms defined in the application manual.

So look at the instruction manual, and if you think you qualify, then include it.

Old statements like "You should know the language well enough to interview in it" don't hold much water anymore unless you indicate that you are "fluent" in the language