Teaching Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhOh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anybody has any good ideas for first day of class stuff for a psyc intro statistics course?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anybody has any good ideas for first day of class stuff for a psyc intro statistics course?

That's a little vague, dude. grad or undergrad? Does the course integrate computer stats programs? How you already picked the text book? Why not start at chapter one?

That's a little vague, dude. grad or undergrad? Does the course integrate computer stats programs? How you already picked the text book? Why not start at chapter one?
Werd.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about a game? Games are fun. Or some sort of "How to Lie with Statistics" kind of group activity--you know, to show them why they're going to study this subject in the first place and how it can influence their lives.

How about a game? Games are fun. Or some sort of "How to Lie with Statistics" kind of group activity--you know, to show them why they're going to study this subject in the first place and how it can influence their lives.

This is actually a good point. You know that dice/probability example? Or the flip of a coin? Assuming this is for an undergrad course, I think something along those lines is good to open up with...especially for the beginning statistician. After that, just tell them why they should care about statistics (i.e. be a smart and discriminant consumer of research) and what they can expect to learn from this course. Maybe field questions about any nerves and concerns they have about the class, etc... Just develop a plan to cover most of your time and B.S. your way through the rest :) Not the perfect plan, but like Anchor Man said: "60 percent of the time it works every time" ahaha

And tell jokes. They like jokes.

some sort of "How to Lie with Statistics" kind of group activity--you know, to show them why they're going to study this subject in the first place and how it can influence their lives.

Stats and research methods classes can be high anxiety for many students who "have" to take the classes for the major, but clearly don't want to be there. Good idea to try to get buy-in the first day by pitching them on personal relevance (beyond "you gotta take it to graduate").

Stats and research methods classes can be high anxiety for many students who "have" to take the classes for the major, but clearly don't want to be there. Good idea to try to get buy-in the first day by pitching them on personal relevance (beyond "you gotta take it to graduate").
I actually consider this important to do in every class :)