Teaching with Psy D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherriver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, is teaching with psy D at community college setting pretty easy and common?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about the States, but in Australia the top universities don't hire Psy Ds for teaching - only PhDs. However:

1. I have seen smaller universities advertise positions that you could apply for with a Psy D.
2. The Psy D (or DCP, as it's called here) is quite a new program, so as more people go through it, things might change.

So it seems likely that colleges would hire Psy Ds, as Psy Drs have a lot of advanced clinical, hands-on experience which would be valuable when teaching more practical subjects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had several professors with PsyD's. In the United States.

I'd imagine that most CC's wouldn't heavily discriminate between a Psy.D. and a Ph.D. for a teaching position.

Heck, many research-heavy doctoral programs would likely give the two degrees equal standing, and would instead pay more attention to publications and teaching experience.

Heck, many research-heavy doctoral programs would likely give the two degrees equal standing, and would instead pay more attention to publications and teaching experience.

Production is king at most universities. I usually say if you are sure you want an academic career....get a Ph.D., because there is still some bias out there. Tenure-track positions may be a bit more challenging, but adjuncting or working at the Associate Professor level shouldn't be a problem.

In regard to CC's, a Ph.D. or Psy.D. would be seen as a selling point because many teaching at the CC level are at the MA/MS level.

Hello, is teaching with psy D at community college setting pretty easy and common?

Don't know about PsyDs, but local CCs here have routinely looked for PTLs from clin psych doctoral programs who have their Masters to take over some of their sections for popular classes (like Psych 101). I don't see how you wouldn't be able to teach with a PsyD but the salary and the nature of the appointment may be another matter.

It probably partly depends on the school and the location. For example, if you look at the faculty list for Ivy schools there are notably less PsyDs employed there. I had profs in undergrad (at a univeristy) who had the PsyD. I also know of a few in my area who have their own private practice and teach either at the university or at the CC. Your best bet is to search in areas you're interested in teaching and see what the demographic is.