Teaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcallmepsych4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for an adjunct position and there will also be a 15 minute teaching demo. I'm assuming it's okay to use material from previous classes or lesson plans I find online, but I wanted to make sure...

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good to me. Good luck to you, hopefully this is a decent adjunct position, most are grossly underpaid.
Thank you! How much do they normally pay per class? I heard 1700 but IDK if that is true. I'm mostly doing it for experience though in case I want to apply for faculty positions in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question - would it look bad to just read off the slides? or should I memorize additional info for each slide?

Another question - would it look bad to just read off the slides? or should I memorize additional info for each slide?

Will echo that, yes, it would be bad. Would also add that it looks bad if you have too many words on slides. Pictures, pretty graphs/figures, easy to follow flowcharts, etc. with explanations are better and more engaging a lot of the time. if you are using bullet points, limit to brief phrases with keywords (e.g., 6-7 words), not lengthy sentences or explanations (that's what your verbal portion is for).

Reactions: 1 user
Will echo that, yes, it would be bad. Would also add that it looks bad if you have too many words on slides. Pictures, pretty graphs/figures, easy to follow flowcharts, etc. with explanations are better and more engaging a lot of the time. if you are using bullet points, limit to brief phrases with keywords (e.g., 6-7 words), not lengthy sentences or explanations (that's what your verbal portion is for).
I agree, but I'd add that an acceptable exception would be quotations. Important quotations, especially if you are citing a definition of a particular technical term, are acceptable as long as they are few and far between.

I always load my slides with all the info I want to present, then do several rounds where I shift info from the slides to the notes page, which contains the content I'll discuss orally. You're left with concise, easily readable slides, and you come across as having in-depth knowledge about each point.

Reactions: 2 users

Have you taken any pedagogy classes? Those can be helpful in terms of learning how to best prepare info for students, and could answer your questions with some research to back it up. If not, just think about what you liked best as a student :)

I got 2200 last time I taught intro as an adjunct but that's in the semi-rural Midwest and was also 9 years ago.

Don't do that. Your slides should be more of an outline to help you keep your presentation in order and summarize crucial points. If you want to be a good teacher you should know your subject matter well enough to talk about it without reading while talking. I usually approach teaching a subject as if someone just asked me a semi open ended question, I.e. "Tell me about major depressive disorder."

Thank you for the suggestions! I got the position. :) It's only 1700 though. But like I said, I'm doing it more for the experience.