Tech at Hospital vs Retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exsell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if working as a pharmacy tech in hospital holds greater weight than retail if i'm trying to apply to pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure.. I work at an in-patient hospital pharmacy and a bunch of us are pre-pharm students. So far everyone that's applied to pharmacy school has gotten in! :) soo i'm crossing my fingers.. I don't want to be the one that breaks the streak.

7 techs applied last year-- 6 techs got in on their first time applying and 1 tech was applying for the second time and got in as well.

No, it won't weigh any heavier. The important thing is what you gained from that experience. How has your perspective changed? What skills did you acquire and develop? What mentality do you envision having as a future practitioner? How would you handle patients in a professional environment? These are questions which volunteering will hopefully provide the answer to. Whether you select a pharmacy in a hospital setting or retail setting is merely a career choice; it has no bearing on whether you are a better pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Koni, what hospital is this??? Maybe if I work there, some of that luck, or whatever it is will rub off on me!! just kidding :-D But really, that's awesome.
I'm actually a pharm tech too, certified, and I've been working in retail for more than a year and a half now and I've recently applied to the hospitals in my area for a position as a CPhT. I want to work in a hospital so badly, just because it'll be a new experience for me, and I'm hating retail right now :p

Hey Koni, what hospital is this??? Maybe if I work there, some of that luck, or whatever it is will rub off on me!! just kidding :-D But really, that's awesome.
I'm actually a pharm tech too, certified, and I've been working in retail for more than a year and a half now and I've recently applied to the hospitals in my area for a position as a CPhT. I want to work in a hospital so badly, just because it'll be a new experience for me, and I'm hating retail right now :p

Lol. It's a local hospital in Hawaii! :) If you're living in Hawaii too, I can let you know when we start hiring. :D