Tech Worker - Do I have any shot at the career-changer post-baccs? (Bryn Mawr, Agnes Scott, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twixmoments

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your biggest challenge is going to be convincing a post-bac admissions committee of your commitment to the medical profession. Healthcare volunteer hours would help your case, but if you can't get into a clinical setting, check out other human services opportunities. If you can make a solid case for why you why you decided on corporate tech, and why you're changing your mind, I think you have a shot. Particularly if you can write convincingly about your experiences.

As someone who applied to career changer post-bac programs with a similar GPA, I'd be prepared to defend/explain/make a case for yourself as a serious student. They're expecting students to get through their programs with 3.7/3.8+ GPAs.

You're welcome to PM me if you have any career-changer/post bac questions! Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t necessarily have to do a post bacc program to be a career changer. I’m doing a career change/GPA repair (didn’t study BCP in undergrad) DIY post bacc, and I’ve been able to complete all the prerequisites + 6ish upper divisions for around 25k.

If you can utilize SDN correctly, you won’t need any IRL counseling about the application process that some of the formal programs charge quite a bit for. You can get everything and more through using SDN smartly.

You don’t necessarily have to do a post bacc program to be a career changer. I’m doing a career change/GPA repair (didn’t study BCP in undergrad) DIY post bacc, and I’ve been able to complete all the prerequisites + 6ish upper divisions for around 25k.

If you can utilize SDN correctly, you won’t need any IRL counseling about the application process that some of the formal programs charge quite a bit for. You can get everything and more through using SDN smartly.
-

Last edited:
Yes, I have been considering doing this. I'm generally a pretty independent guy and never really used career services / mentoring at all when applying to tech jobs. My job can be done remotely so I have been thinking about moving to Boston for Harvard Extension School (though I've heard rumors that they're GPA killers) or CCNY in NYC and continuing my current job. It would save me a ton of money in the process. However, I'm worried about being able to do well on these courses (with virtually zero science background) while also juggling a pretty demanding job as it is.

I think the reason I was attracted to a lot of the "top" post-baccs like Bryn Mawr/Goucher is their ridiculous 98%+ med school acceptance rate. My biggest fear is spending all of that money/time/sweat/tears/blood to delve into this path independently and making it out without any acceptances + jeopardizing my current career. Getting into one of those programs would probably assuage that fear a little. I suppose that my chances at those programs aren't stellar, but regardless of whether I get into those programs I'll also be looking at other DIY / Night school post bacc programs as well.

Is it realistic to take on a full-time tech job + take prereq courses if trying to get that 4.0? No idea how I would fit in shadowing/clinical volunteering hours, but I suppose I can figure that out as I go, perhaps doing them after I finish all the coursework.

I think it'll be tough to ace prereqs while working 35-40 hours a week. Some of those classes (like orgo) can be huge time sinks. Maybe start off with 1-2 classes per semester/quarter, and if it seems like you're doing well, then take on classes full-time (which would mean you'd need to quit) + doing ECs?

Yes, I have been considering doing this. I'm generally a pretty independent guy and never really used career services / mentoring at all when applying to tech jobs. My job can be done remotely so I have been thinking about moving to Boston for Harvard Extension School (though I've heard rumors that they're GPA killers) or CCNY in NYC and continuing my current job. It would save me a ton of money in the process. However, I'm worried about being able to do well on these courses (with virtually zero science background) while also juggling a pretty demanding job as it is.

I think the reason I was attracted to a lot of the "top" post-baccs like Bryn Mawr/Goucher is their ridiculous 98%+ med school acceptance rate. My biggest fear is spending all of that money/time/sweat/tears/blood to delve into this path independently and making it out without any acceptances + jeopardizing my current career. Getting into one of those programs would probably assuage that fear a little. I suppose that my chances at those programs aren't stellar, but regardless of whether I get into those programs I'll also be looking at other DIY / Night school post bacc programs as well.

Is it realistic to take on a full-time tech job + take prereq courses if trying to get that 4.0? No idea how I would fit in shadowing/clinical volunteering hours, but I suppose I can figure that out as I go, perhaps doing them after I finish all the coursework.
I think it's worth noting that the type of students these formal post-bac programs take are the kind that would probably do well anywhere. They're looking for students with very strong academic backgrounds and a strong chance of getting into medical school just based on their work ethic and aspirations. They don't want to have to work hard for that 98% acceptance rate, you know?

If you plan to continue working full time, you'll need to start very slow (take 1 or maybe 2 classes at a time at CCNY or somewhere similar -- preferably a 4 year university). Getting the hang of studying science without the background from it takes time, and you don't want to fumble with your GPA. This is certainly the more cost effective option, and it gives you time to find and accumulate EC hours.

The big pro, IMO, of formal post-bac programs is the atmosphere. Being surrounded by a small cohort of high-achieving students all pushing towards the same goal is very motivating. Can be competitive, but amazing if you find a good group of people. Getting accepted to my program definitely boosted by confidence that I was on the right path.

The con, in addition to the aforementioned cost, is that the program is now your full time job. Even in a stretched out 2 year program, the material is hard and quick, and you'll need most/all of your free time to study. If I could do mine over again, I'd focus just on studying for the duration of the program and leave most ECs for a gap or application year.