Technical Colleges of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrFlyGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick question. I just moved to South Carolina around June and I already finished up my bachelors and I'm just finishing up pre med/MCAT coursework now. I'm almost done taking general chemistry at the local university and I'm taking ochem and physics next semester. My question is is there a difference between technical colleges in South Carolina and community colleges? There seems to be numerous Technical Colleges and only one community college in the entire state..I can't take university courses because I really don't have the money as an out of state student (10 months and counting for in state residency!) to do so..So should I commute to the community college (this would suck) or is the technical colleges the same thing? Residents in the area have told me it's the same thing but idk...Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Same thing in SC. What part of the state are you in? Large variety in terms of class difficulty across colleges on the OChem level

Myrtle Beach area (love it here!). It's great to hear it's the same thing because I don't want to have to make that three hour commute lol. Do you think out of states will see the words "Technical" and just throw away my app?

Btw the chemistry program at Coastal Carolina is very underrated imo. Amazing teachers (compared to Rutgers University, but the bar is not high lol) and small class sizes. Just because they don't do ground breaking research doesn't mean it's not a good place to learn.