Technician as the Director of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taken2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it acceptable for a tech to be the director of pharmacy and have the pharmacist work under him/her ? I know a pharmacist who works under a tech.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd rather have a tech with some specialized pharmacoeconomic/MPH degree who actually knows something as my boss than a browning RpH who schmoozed his way to the top.

I don't understand your question. In most cases, the director of pharmacy of a hospital has to be a pharmacist. Maybe I'm missing something here??? If you're asking for jobs where a person with a business degree or someone who has worked his way up to be an upper director/manager/executive of some kind, who oversees pharmacist and is also a technician, then yes that is acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought you have to be a pharmacist to be a director of pharmacy. I know this 60+ y/o pharmacist who works under this girl who is barely 30 y/o. she is technician and the one in charge of pharmacy services at the clinic they work at. I thought it was odd and disrespectful for her to be his boss. she runs the pharmacy basically and the guy takes directions from her.

To OP:
If the law allows a technician to be DOP, and the person is capable, then great. Some states allow technicians to be pharmacy managers also. As long as the technician stays in his/her lane, I have no problems of them being my boss. It doesn't affect my paycheck.

Not everyone wants to be the DOP, maybe the old pharmd maybe doesn't want to be a DOP.

Do you know what a DOP does? I'll give you a taste of what they do. They sit in their office, they go to meetings, they write procedures, policies, and drafts. They review case studies, make therapeutic recommendations, and studies of their own to see which drugs are more effective, and cheaper than current formulary drugs. They are also do theft prevention, and buy/fix/train people how to use the pixxis, etc. They are on call 24 hours a day, in case the pharmacy burns down. They rarely work on the pharmacy floor, or hospital floor. They have to brown nose MD, PharmD, nurses, and Department directors. They hire and fire people.

In most cases, you don't need a pharmacist (unless law requires it) to do the above, but you do need someone who can multitask and who LOVES paperwork. I use to joke with my DOP, "do you do any work, or do you just move paper around your desk to look busy."

As for age, I rather hire a manager who is young and who can make things happen, than an older pharmacist who is more likely set in his ways.

To OP:
If the law allows a technician to be DOP, and the person is capable, then great. Some states allow technicians to be pharmacy managers also. As long as the technician stays in his/her lane, I have no problems of them being my boss. It doesn't affect my paycheck.

Not everyone wants to be the DOP, maybe the old pharmd maybe doesn't want to be a DOP.

Do you know what a DOP does? I'll give you a taste of what they do. They sit in their office, they go to meetings, they write procedures, policies, and drafts. They review case studies, make therapeutic recommendations, and studies of their own to see which drugs are more effective, and cheaper than current formulary drugs. They are also do theft prevention, and buy/fix/train people how to use the pixxis, etc. They are on call 24 hours a day, in case the pharmacy burns down. They rarely work on the pharmacy floor, or hospital floor. They have to brown nose MD, PharmD, nurses, and Department directors. They hire and fire people.

In most cases, you don't need a pharmacist (unless law requires it) to do the above, but you do need someone who can multitask and who LOVES paperwork. I use to joke with my DOP, "do you do any work, or do you just move paper around your desk to look busy."

As for age, I rather hire a manager who is young and who can make things happen, than an older pharmacist who is more likely set in his ways.

So some states allow technician to do the bolded ?. I always thought you have to have worked as a pharmacist to direct a pharmacy. I know what directors of pharmacy do and most I know were pharmacist before they rose to that position. it is odd to have a tech manage a pharmacy too.

Last edited:
I've heard of a pharmacy tech being the district manager of a retail district.... I found that VERY odd...

Pharmacopia said:
They review case studies, make therapeutic recommendations, and studies of their own to see which drugs are more effective, and cheaper than current formulary drugs.

So some states allow technician to do the bolded. I always thought you have to have worked as a pharmacist to direct a pharmacy. I know what directors of pharmacy do and most I know were pharmacist before they rose to that position. it is odd to have a tech manage a pharmacy too.

No state would allow that. If it's a big enough hospital (more than 50 beds or so), there will be a separate clinical manager which would require a PharmD and preferably BCPS plus several years of experience. The clinical manager will be responsible for making recommendations for formulary additions/subtractions and coming up with new clinical policies, regardless of what the DOP's qualifications are. S/he could also be the legal pharmacist-in-charge if the DOP isn't a pharmacist.

Last edited:
Apparently it depends on the state. Every state requires that the pharmacist-in-charge be a pharmacist (duh)....but in my state, pharmacies can be owned by non-pharmacists and a hospital department could be be headed by a non-pharmacist. People have mentioned that the Director, would be on P&T committes and such...but these activities can be delegated (and many times are, even if the director is a pharmacist.)

I've never worked in such a situation, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. It really isn't much different than most hospital situations where the Pharmacy Director works under a nurse or other non-pharmacist VP.

Last edited:
since we are on the subject of reversing roles...

would it seem odd to you if a pharmacist applied for a technician job. Let's say a pharmacist works as a "pharmacist" at a retail store and wants to work part-time as a technician at an independent store just to make extra income (assuming there are no other part-time pharmacist jobs available in that area where they can make extra income)

would it seem odd to you if a pharmacist applied for a technician job. Let's say a pharmacist works as a "pharmacist" at a retail store and wants to work part-time as a technician at an independent store just to make extra income (assuming there are no other part-time pharmacist jobs available in that area where they can make extra income)

Yes. Maybe they can't be a pharmacist anymore due to licensing issues? Maybe they do not work at the pharmacy anymore, or know they will not soon?

that doesn't seem odd.. that seems.. a word stronger than odd.

No state would allow that. If it's a big enough hospital (more than 50 beds or so), there will be a separate clinical manager which would require a PharmD and preferably BCPS plus several years of experience. The clinical manager will be responsible for making recommendations for formulary additions/subtractions and coming up with new clinical policies, regardless of what the DOP's qualifications are. S/he could also be the legal pharmacist-in-charge if the DOP isn't a pharmacist.

I should have clarified that part. You are right. The DOP would not be PIC, or do anything requiring a PharmD.

Apparently it depends on the state. Every state requires that the pharmacist-in-charge be a pharmacist (duh)....but in my state, pharmacies can be owned by non-pharmacists and a hospital department could be be headed by a non-pharmacist. People have mentioned that the Director, would be on P&T committes and such...but these activities can be delegated (and many times are, even if the director is a pharmacist.)

I've never worked in such a situation, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. It really isn't much different than most hospital situations where the Pharmacy Director works under a nurse or other non-pharmacist VP.

this is what I was trying to get at...