Technion vs Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedout2019

Reaction score
I had pretty much accepted that I wasn't going to be going to medical school this fall and started making other plans. Applied to a direct entry masters in nursing program and got in to become an RN with plans of pursuing a career as a nurse practitioner here in the US. I was pretty settled with the NP route since med school didn't work out but then I got a last minute interview to Technion medical school in Israel. Med school has been my lifelong dream and I always thought I would drop all my plans to go if I get in, but I am concerned because it is hard to find a lot of information about Technion and their match rates online. Their website shows where people have matched each year, but it doesn't say how many people were in each class, so I'm not sure what percentage of their students have matched. Naturally, I am concerned about spending 4 years of my life in medical school + the financial burden + moving away from all my friends and family to take a huge risk of not matching at the end. I'm aware that there is inherent risk in going to medical school outside of the US but I want to make sure that I would be doing something that will likely have a good outcome (given I put in all the work and study time of course). I am Jewish, I do not speak Hebrew and I don't want to live in Israel long-term, and I see myself coming back home to Los Angeles eventually. If anyone has any information or insight I would greatly appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would see what they say about the % of people that match. Also see whether they have more success with matching into the jewish hospital systems in the states (cedars or mt. sinai). DO and MD residencies combine recently so that may also effect IMG. It's a risky proposition. But, if they have connections to US residencies, and you can get research oppurtunities, then maybe it could work? Depends on how much you want it and how much debt you'll be in.