Teen amputates foot due to CRPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melancholy

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://us.yahoo.com/beauty/teen-ha...rown-toenail-left-her-in-agony-154125481.html

I would have been concerned about higher risk for phantom limb pain given the central component of CRPS as well as phantom limb pain. Perhaps taking away the physical component (foot) reduces what body part the pain and sensations can actually be amplified in. Whenever she went for the surgery maybe she was loaded up w gabapentin and ketamine...

Members don't see this ad.

saw this in residency. CRPS "migrated" to other limb and it was amputated as well....

Members don't see this ad :)
https://us.yahoo.com/beauty/teen-ha...rown-toenail-left-her-in-agony-154125481.html

I would have been concerned about higher risk for phantom limb pain given the central component of CRPS as well as phantom limb pain. Perhaps taking away the physical component (foot) reduces what body part the pain and sensations can actually be amplified in. Whenever she went for the surgery maybe she was loaded up w gabapentin and ketamine...

She says the amputation cured her pain at the end of the article...opposite the usual dogma...

Endoscopic limb amputation for CRPS course at ASIPP next year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The title of this thread is an assumption. Might well be apotemnophilia.

Last edited:
Fixed it.... Maybe we could bill 77002 with this course...

Maybe they injected stem cells at the amputation site and that cured the pain.
Or maybe it was amputated using a laser and therefore pain free?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apparently, she was/(is?) a teenage karate champion. She's lucky not to have stump/phantom pain ... albeit, time will tell (along with spread).

Considering the strong psych component of CRPS, I would venture to guess there is far more to this story. This would/could be the first time in history that a central pain syndrome was cured by removal of the peripheral contributing factor, i.e. The limb.

Reactions: 1 user
It said it got infected and then she had it amputated. Could have just been a rotten foot.
Said she had to go to a private facility and (sounds like) pay cash for the surgery. Don't you think if there was a bad enough infection someone would had felt it was a justifiable indication to consider amputation? (Would have to be some serious necrotic limb))

ASIPP will probably have a course next year in Orlando on Minimally Invasive BKA...

Reactions: 1 users
Considering the strong psych component of CRPS, I would venture to guess there is far more to this story. This would/could be the first time in history that a central pain syndrome was cured by removal of the peripheral contributing factor, i.e. The limb.

Are you suggesting the patients with CRPS are more likely to have a significant pre-injury psych history? Or that, like all chronic pain patients, there is an increased likelihood of the development of post-injury depression?

Are you suggesting the patients with CRPS are more likely to have a significant pre-injury psych history? Or that, like all chronic pain patients, there is an increased likelihood of the development of post-injury depression?

no level one study to back this up, but I think there is a higher likelihood of significant pre-injury psych history in patients who later develop CRPS.

Reactions: 1 users
high dose Vit C helps prevent it. ACE inhibitors are a risk factor.... just sayin