• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Telehealth Consultations

hopefuldawkter

Aug 8, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
My clinic that I normally volunteer at has went virtual. The doctor is in person seeing patients and the laptop is set up in such a way where I am able to see both the patient and doctor, but I am online filling out the chart. Does this qualify as volunteering/is this more shadowing/or does this not count at all? Thank you!

D

deleted480308

My clinic that I normally volunteer at has went virtual. The doctor is in person seeing patients and the laptop is set up in such a way where I am able to see both the patient and doctor, but I am online filling out the chart. Does this qualify as volunteering/is this more shadowing/or does this not count at all? Thank you!
Clinical volunteering

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
The doctor is performing their task with patients via telemedicine; you are acting as scribe to the doctor in filling out the chart for the patient visit. The insurance company will pay the doctor for the patient visit. It is clinical

@LizzyM. We need a new rule or exception for "If you can smell a patient.." standard . Maybe if you can Smell, See, Hear, or Touch a patient, its clinical. If you can taste a patient, referral to psych and legal

• Haha
About the Ads
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
My clinic that I normally volunteer at has went virtual. The doctor is in person seeing patients and the laptop is set up in such a way where I am able to see both the patient and doctor, but I am online filling out the chart. Does this qualify as volunteering/is this more shadowing/or does this not count at all?
I, too, would qualify this as Clinical Volunteering in the current environment. Mention your clinic's adaptation to accommodate COVID concerns in your narrative.

Sep 4, 2006
  1. Attending Physician
Could you elaborate on mentioning clinic’s adaption in narrative. Do you mean mentioning that some of my hours were virtual in W&A or talking about it in my PS?
Mention it in the Activities description.

Sep 4, 2006
  1. Attending Physician
The doctor is performing their task with patients via telemedicine; you are acting as scribe to the doctor in filling out the chart for the patient visit. The insurance company will pay the doctor for the patient visit. It is clinical

@LizzyM. We need a new rule or exception for "If you can smell a patient.." standard . Maybe if you can Smell, See, Hear, or Touch a patient, its clinical.
I think an objection might be that there is now no patient interaction by the OP, but at least we get a sense that (in this case) that the scribing was in-person before the clinic changed their format to protect the health of its volunteers.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
I think an objection might be that there is now no patient interaction by the OP, but at least we get a sense that (in this case) that the scribing was in-person before the clinic changed their format to protect the health of its volunteers.
On one hand agree with you but the other hand it is doing the same function as before by the limits the pandemic is requiring. Kind of a coin flip between volunteer and shadow but the volunteer here is active (scribing) as opposed to passively observing.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.