telemedicine out of state rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finalpsychyear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Are you allowed to treat anyone out of state if insurance is not involved like cash only or must you get a license in whichever state the patient is located to either do a video session or phone? Does it matter if meds are not involved and your doing general counseling? What if they showed up at your office for initial visit in your state then left the state as I do call in rx for patients out of state who go away for 5-6 months at a time.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last I checked, it was still state specific. Some states allow reciprocity, many require a license for the state that the patient resides. Same goes for counseling, at least for psychologist licensure, so I would assume it would follow for other counseling disciplines.

Hi. Are you allowed to treat anyone out of state if insurance is not involved like cash only or must you get a license in whichever state the patient is located to either do a video session or phone? Does it matter if meds are not involved and your doing general counseling? What if they showed up at your office for initial visit in your state then left the state as I do call in rx for patients out of state who go away for 5-6 months at a time.

Thanks.

As a physician, you need a license in that state and another DEA if you practice in more then one state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would steer clear of IMLC. Still in the complicated phase of differences in litigate. Regardless, you need another DEA for ever additional state you practice as a physician. So for example, if you are in Wisconsin, and want to do telepsychiatry in Texas and practice in Wisconsin, you will need a license in both states and a DEA in both states

Reactions: 1 user
Would steer clear of IMLC. Still in the complicated phase of differences in litigate. Regardless, you need another DEA for ever additional state you practice as a physician. So for example, if you are in Wisconsin, and want to do telepsychiatry in Texas and practice in Wisconsin, you will need a license in both states and a DEA in both states

So a dea is required even if no controlled meds are being prescribed ? Also, what if the patient comes to my office out of state and establishes care face to face. Does it change the equation as i treat several patients who go for extended periods out of state during winter months.

So a dea is required even if no controlled meds are being prescribed ? Also, what if the patient comes to my office out of state and establishes care face to face. Does it change the equation as i treat several patients who go for extended periods out of state during winter months.

Yeah the DEA thing is a non-sequitor (and incorrect). It makes no sense. You must be able to forward a prescription to a different state if the patient lives in a different state.

Call your malpractice carrier to get the most up-to-date accurate information. Based on my inquiry, basically you need a license to practice medicine if the patient is physically located in a different state on a routine basis. However, if the patient comes to your office most of the time, you may be able to get away with "incidental care" (i.e. patient student in a different state) without a license, especially if there's a compelling reason (i.e. clinically wrong thing to do to transition patient in and out of your practice due to physical location).

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if a telepsych company will credential you without a DEA for the state.
Hypothetically, you can practice without one. Basically, you need a state license for where the patient is. If for some reason, the patient is a telepsych patient, but then shows up at your office, in a different state, technically your fine. This is a little more complicated if you are talking about controlled substances. But assuming your not talking about controlled substances, your fine. Now, if you see a patient on a regular bases in person and that patient leaves for 3 months, scripts can be transferred over to out of state pharmacy.