Fellow [Any Field]
Has anyone ever had any experience with telemedicine

please share your experience , pros and cons

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I offer it to my existing patients which is nice for things that only need basic visualization - rashes, cuts, stuff like that.

I hate it when the teledoc has never met the patient before and is basically functioning as an antibiotic vending machine.

OP
S

scharnhorst

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
LOL
would be nice if a Norco or addrell vending machine right ?

any idea if malpractice covers these visits ?

About the Ads

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
LOL
would be nice if a Norco or addrell vending machine right ?

any idea if malpractice covers these visits ?
You can get a telemedicine rider if needed. I didn't. If you're working for a telemedicine company they will usually cover it.

FM Hopeful

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Has anyone ever had any experience with telemedicine

please share your experience , pros and cons
Is the pay lower per unit of time invested? It seems like it would be difficult to bill appropriately since you can't do much of a physical exam.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Typically, telemedicine fees are self-pay (the average charge is around $49 for a 10-minute call). Consequently, there are no specific documentation requirements aside from whatever is needed to CYA. When insurance does cover it, it's usually at a flat rate, so E&M coding doesn't apply.

FM Hopeful

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Typically, telemedicine fees are self-pay (the average charge is around $49 for a 10-minute call). Consequently, there are no specific documentation requirements aside from whatever is needed to CYA. When insurance does cover it, it's usually at a flat rate, so E&M coding doesn't apply.
Sounds like the way to go, good bye insurance, hello telemedicine.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
The doctor doesn't get all of that. Most docs I know doing this get around $20/encounter.
I looked into doing this on a limited basis with a company called American Well, one of the largest telehealth companies. They’re responsible for a lot of the telehealth offerings by payers. The reimbursement for this sort of thing is not lucrative. Typically, the physician gets half of what the patient is billed (e.g., around $25 or so) for a typical 10-minute "consultation." Physicians who do telemedicine full-time could "see" at most 4-5 patients per hour, allowing time for documentation. That’s not great money (it’s all pre-tax, as you’re paid as an independent contractor rather than an employee).

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I looked into doing this on a limited basis with a company called American Well, one of the largest telehealth companies. They’re responsible for a lot of the telehealth offerings by payers. The reimbursement for this sort of thing is not lucrative. Typically, the physician gets half of what the patient is billed (e.g., around $25 or so) for a typical 10-minute "consultation." Physicians who do telemedicine full-time could "see" at most 4-5 patients per hour, allowing time for documentation. That’s not great money (it’s all pre-tax, as you’re paid as an independent contractor rather than an employee).
All true. As you might imagine, the DPC community has lots of folks looking for extra income streams during start up and telemedicine get a lot of interest but very few make enough to justify doing it.

FM Hopeful

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
That is disappointing. Forget it, doesn't sound like its worth the hassle.

OP
S

scharnhorst

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Do they guarentee like 6 calls in an hr or its variable
as I dont want to be tied down at home for 4 hrs on weekends if I just get 2 calls an hour
its not worth the time

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Do they guarentee like 6 calls in an hr or its variable
as I dont want to be tied down at home for 4 hrs on weekends if I just get 2 calls an hour
its not worth the time
American Well guaranteed $50/hour. That's it.

Ericslv

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2014
Status
Attending Physician
Sound like worse than urgent care. Rash, cold, cough x 100 a day.

Reactions: Blue Dog

Ericslv

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2014
Status
Attending Physician
That is disappointing. Forget it, doesn't sound like its worth the hassle.
The only person getting rich is the IT company owner / CEO who is manipulating you to get paid very little while he takes cut from you hard earned skill. Think about how much he is making per hour if he gets half and half of that is pure profit. Let say 10 bucks at 3 visits per hour x 16 hours a day x 1000 docs. He will turn around and sell it to some bigger company when it hits critical mass. The doctors get no equity and basically get screwed and they come cheap. Don't sell yourself cheap.

septoplasty

Exceptional
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2010
Call Room
Status
Attending Physician
So, similar question but different job scenario.

Anyone get employment offers from locums companies for telehealth to determine patient eligibility for bracing?

I'm guessing it's the company that does direct marketing to patients on tv, connects the caller to the company, the company hires you to "write an Rx" for the said brace so they can bill medicare/insurance for it. Any opinions?

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

Anyone get employment offers from locums companies for telehealth to determine patient eligibility for bracing?

I'm guessing it's the company that does direct marketing to patients on tv, connects the caller to the company, the company hires you to "write an Rx" for the said brace so they can bill medicare/insurance for it. Any opinions?
It's a **** job, right below the guy who denies your imaging studies without reading your notes. It's also probably Medicare fraud.

CMS Finalizes Rule Targeting DME Fraud

FM Hopeful

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
The only person getting rich is the IT company owner / CEO who is manipulating you to get paid very little while he takes cut from you hard earned skill. Think about how much he is making per hour if he gets half and half of that is pure profit. Let say 10 bucks at 3 visits per hour x 16 hours a day x 1000 docs. He will turn around and sell it to some bigger company when it hits critical mass. The doctors get no equity and basically get screwed and they come cheap. Don't sell yourself cheap.
If only all physicians thought this way.

Reactions: Ericslv

FM Hopeful

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student

It sounds like the medical device companies (like Hoveround) that have extremely dishonest practices (although maybe legal) in which they pressure doctors and patients into getting this overpriced junk. Often times, they don't even bother asking the doctor to fill the stuff out. They tell the doctor "this needs filled out" while sending several faxes per day along with multiple calls per week.

Reactions: septoplasty
Jul 20, 2017
Status
Resident [Any Field]
is Telemedicine an actual common gig for FM? I always thought it was more just in extreme rural areas...

Ericslv

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2014
Status
Attending Physician
If only all physicians thought this way.
That's the problem with medicine and doctors today. They want it easy once they finish residency. Easy is expensive. Just like you pay 3 x more at 7 eleven for the same thing you can get at the supermarket. The more convenient someone makes it for you the more you pay in the end and not just in dollars.

raj121b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2004
Visit site
Status
Would love to continue this discussion

I am an FP interested in learning more about telemedicine from the standpoint of chronic diseases/primary care/BH

- Experience using various platforms?
- Main barriers to telemedicine?
- Any other feedback/comments

Would appreciate tremendously. Please email me at [email protected] if that would be better

Best regards,

Raj

About the Ads