telerads right out of residency, no fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647155

Any rads residents thinking about doing this? One of the reasons I'm interested in radiology is because of its flexibility compared to other specialties, and it seems like teleradiology would be a better fit for me than a brick and mortar job (dictate with cat or dog in lap? sign me up!--although I guess you could bring your pet to the reading room...)

Members don't see this ad.

Leaving the other pros/cons of teleradiology aside, volume expectations are higher in the teleradiology world. Profit margins are lower, and the corporate overlords need their cut too. Even in a traditional private practice model, groups understand that new hires right out of training will take at least a few months to become accustomed to the volume. I think you'd find that teleradiologist companies have much more of a sink-or-swim attitude, and the waves in that sea are a lot higher. And probably shark-infested. With laser beams attached to their heads.

Reactions: 4 users
To answer your question, I knew a rad who did this last year. Had to move overseas for family reasons and went right from residency to teleradiology.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Leaving the other pros/cons of teleradiology aside, volume expectations are higher in the teleradiology world. Profit margins are lower, and the corporate overlords need their cut too. Even in a traditional private practice model, groups understand that new hires right out of training will take at least a few months to become accustomed to the volume. I think you'd find that teleradiologist companies have much more of a sink-or-swim attitude, and the waves in that sea are a lot higher. And probably shark-infested. With laser beams attached to their heads.

From what I understand, vRad doesn't care how much you read...You eat what you kill. At least that's what it was like about a year ago. We have a new attending who did vRad to start his career.

It's eat what you kill, but you will need to read very high volume of cases to get paid a competitive salary. For an equivalent salary, in Telerads you will need to read lots more cases than you would in a regular PP.

Yeah, when I said volume expectations, I wasn't just talking about the external kind. Generally, I strongly suspect a radiologist will pressure him/herself to read more in a teleradiology setting independent of the company's expectations.