Tell Me About Hospitals In Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in medical school, thinking about a future move to Miami once I graduate. Tell me about hospitals in Miami, specifically teaching ones that have good IM programs with lots of fellowships available afterwards. Also how is the cost of living there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Only teaching hospital in Miami that I am familiar with is Jackson since I go to medical school there. You get great clinical exposure at Jackson for IM. There is a ton of path that you probably won't see too often in many hospitals in the US. Also, pretty much every fellowship in IM is offered here. However, knowing Spanish is a huge plus. In fact, I don't know how anybody can survive here without it, but some do. Also, there is alot of scut work and BS that you have to deal with here since it is a county hospital (axillary support is almost nonexistant). Finally, Jackson is pretty dirty (it's practically a dump) and located in a bad part of Miami. Jackson is definitely not for everyone.

CANES2006 said:
Only teaching hospital in Miami that I am familiar with is Jackson since I go to medical school there. You get great clinical exposure at Jackson for IM. There is a ton of path that you probably won't see too often in many hospitals in the US. Also, pretty much every fellowship in IM is offered here. However, knowing Spanish is a huge plus. In fact, I don't know how anybody can survive here without it, but some do. Also, there is alot of scut work and BS that you have to deal with here since it is a county hospital (axillary support is almost nonexistant). Finally, Jackson is pretty dirty (it's practically a dump) and located in a bad part of Miami. Jackson is definitely not for everyone.

True..err, I mean "verdad".

Mt Sinai is a nicer hospital, but my sister (a paramedic down there) swears the staff is far worse than Jackson.