Tell me about Perth & Freemantle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5oProlene

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a 6 week international elective in either WA or NSW and am having trouble deciding between the two. I'm a little familiar with NSW (Sydney that is), but don't know much about WA. So could somebody tell me a bit about the quality of life in Perth and Freemantle and how it compares to Sydney?

How do Royal Perth, Sir Charles Gardnier, and Freemantle Hospital compare to each other?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well, since i have family that live there i think i can help you out abit. actually, my mom is in perth now. i can't really help you when it comes to comparing the hospitals but i can help some on comparing city life. compared to sydney, Perth is a much more laid back lifestyle. not as fast paced as the east coast. freemantle is a fishing community with a really great fish restaurant on the docks (if you like fish). lots of parks, along the swan river there is a park and sidewalk that runs along it. i think if you like the fast paced, city life then you should probably go for sydney, but if you are more laid back, take life as it comes, then perth is the place for you.

just my .02

Nice city, everything you need. Isolated from rest of OZ - but only 4 hr plane ride away. Beautiful state for travel.

Royal Perth - busiest, biggest and best IMO. Bit of a sweat shop for junior medical staff and can be unpleasent. Has all specialities. Particularly good for EM, Intensive Care, Neurosurgery and Interventional radiology. Gets 70% of the trauma for the city

Sir Charles Gardener - likes to think its the busiest, biggest and best. Its not. Slower pace and a nicer place to work than RPH - but less experience - depends what you want. Still a good hospital

Fremantle - or "Club Freo" as we like to call it. Smaller hospital, still has all the services except Neurosurgery. Very relaxed. Nice people, nice location and did I say, very relaxed.

cheers

BCE