1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about psychiatry residencies

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by dopaminesurge, Dec 18, 2005.

1. dopaminesurge

dopaminesurge My friends calls me Steve
    5+ Year Member

Or at least where I can get more information.

Is the internship year the same for every regardless of specialty? And what are psych residency hours like? On call? What's considered a good internship? What's considered a relaxed internship? Do psych interns sleep? Do they have time to be alive? I'm terribly sorry to butt into the med school forums as a premed. I'm just trying to invision my future here... Don't annihilate me, please.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you can read the threads entitled "post interview thread" and "on call blogs" for all the information you're looking for.

4. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Poety's suggestion is good. There is a lot of information regarding program requirements and expectations in the interviews thread. While you must fulfill certain requirements to complete a psychiatry residency, there is room for variation. For example, you are required to complete 4 months of medicine in your internship year. In some programs this is fulfilled through a med/psych floor rotation, in others, one month of pediatrics and family medicine, in others, a stint in the ICU and regular medical floors.

Internships, regardless of specialty, tend to be hard and tedious. Psychiatry, to its advantage, requires only 4 months of medicine, but others will have slightly more (6 months). Two months of residency-level neurology are required of you as well.

You'll see that psychiatry internships and residencies are as unique as the program. Some are more relaxed, some are much more work-intensive. The key for you is to stay open-minded throughout med school, learn as much as you can on your clinical rotations, and find a specialty that works for you...and will continue to work for you for the rest of your life...somewhere where you'll find fulfillment, enjoyment, good compensation, and allow you to look forward to getting up in the morning.

Answers to many of your other questions can be found throughout the psychiatry forum. And don't worry...no one will annihilate you here. Except for OldPsychDoc, maybe. He tends to get kinda viscious at times. ;)

5. dopaminesurge

dopaminesurge My friends calls me Steve
    5+ Year Member

Heh. Thanks, guys.

6. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only when I smell blood in the water...
    I never bite sincere, laid-back people. It's those gunners that need to be taken sone a notch. :D