Tell me about UCDAvis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utterlyconfused

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview at UC Davis for the 24th and I wanted some advice. This is one of my most important interviews and I wanted to hear from others who have interviewed there and to see if anyone knows whether the class is already full. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

utterlyconfused said:
I just got an interview at UC Davis for the 24th and I wanted some advice. This is one of my most important interviews and I wanted to hear from others who have interviewed there and to see if anyone knows whether the class is already full. Thanx

They went over this at the beginning of the day when I interviewed in Feb. At that point, they had offered about half of the positions so there were still seats available. As far as I know they were planning to fill it by the end of March. The only way to know now for sure is to call them. They seem pretty open about the info so I wouldn't hesitate if you feel like you need to know before going to the interview.

I'm interviewing there on the 22nd, and was wondering the same thing. Any info about Davis would be appreaciated. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of info do y'all want?

DrYo12 said:
what kind of info do y'all want?

How about the 3 best and worst things about the school? (dont answer that its in Cali and has ~cheap tuition) :D

thanks

I'm writing to tell y'all about my interview experience.

You will start your day in Sacramento at a small conference room adjacent to some cafe. There you will meet the admissions director, Denang sp??, and dean of admissions, Dr. Bera. You'll go over logistics, ie who you will interview with, how to get there, how to get to UCD campus, etc. Then Dr. Bera will give you a very passionate speech about the school.

A tour will start after that hour and half. People will be leaving the tour group depending on when their interview is. I was fortunate to have my interview scheduuled a little later during the morning so I got the full tour.

Next comes your faculty interview. You'll be asked a list of standard questions from a sheet of paper. Your conversation, of course, will deviate depending on your responses. My faculty interview ROCKED!

Then you'll have to figure out how to get to the campus for your student interview. Many of the other interviewees felt that the student interview was much harder. I certainly felt so.

3 worst things for me:

1. med school and med center far apart; I'll have to move after 2 yrs
2. I wished it were more highly ranked.
3. Rent is going to be a lot higher than expected but it's still good compared to rest of california.

3 best things in no particular order:
1. It's connected to an undergraduate campus. Maybe I'll never be able to fit it into my schedule, but I like that I could possibly take some more language classes. Just yesterday, I had a terrible time doing a patient interview in my native tongue.
2. The people. Once you interview there, you'll know what I mean.
3. Student-run clinics.

wxl31 said:
3 worst things for me:

1. med school and med center far apart; I'll have to move after 2 yrs
2. I wished it were more highly ranked.
3. Rent is going to be a lot higher than expected but it's still good compared to rest of california.

i think they're buildling the new med center building in sacramento...so everything will be more centered. i'm not sure if that'll be done for us though? i think maybe for our second year? anyone know?

but yes, the PEOPLE were awesome. the 2nd years were throwing a rib BBQ for the 1st years courtesy of them dissecting the ribs or something for anatomy when i went there, and everyone was just chilling outside on the grass and eating...very very cool.

i think the student run clinics are the best organized that i've seen thus far. a few other schools i went to had them, but not as impressive as davis'.

they also divide the class into these four groups, i forgot what they were actually called. but it's supposed to help with adjusting to med school life, form connections with faculty/deans (i think each group is headed by a dean/faculty member), it has it's own government, you get to talk to 3rd and 4th years etc etc which i thought was really cool too. :)

oh yea, i also thought i did horribly and fumbled a lot on my interview...i think this was the one where i completely lost my train of thought and had to ask what the question was again. =P they try to make it stress free but also see how your mind works and how you think things through. :) sooo good luck, be yourself, yadda yadda yadda...lower your stress level and have fun! :thumbup:

Ok, now I've got an idea of what you want to know...

To clarify, the MS1 and MS2 basic science years will be moving to Sacramento in a building that will be finished presumably by the time y'all are second year students. At this point, you will begin in Davis, which is connected to an undergrad campus.

The college concept is actually pretty neat because it basically mixes up the classes and you end up interacting with people from all 4 class levels. The faculty that participate in each college are very supportive of students and like the interaction.

Because Davis seeks applicants as 'people' as opposed to just 'numbers', you will have quite a variety of interesting classmates that come from many, many different backgrounds. For the most part, the class will be comprised primarily of people from CA, not too many out of state residents.

Something important to consider that you don't really even realise will make a huge difference in your medical school experience is the staff that supports the medical students. The office of admissions, Student Records office, and Financial Aid offices (just to name a few) are very student focused and do everything they can to expedite things for you and to make sure that you have everything you need to be successful.

If you don't have seasonal allergies now, wait until you've been in this area for about a year or two--the allergies at this time of year are bad! Obviously this isn't something that may necessarily make or break your decision process, but just a random fact to be aware of.

Housing is cheaper in Sacramento than it is in Davis, so the housing issue isn't really that big a deal.

The student run clinics are quite possibly some of the best organised and most smoothly run clinics I have seen in quite some time. They are staffed by medical students, undergraduate volunteers and at least a few physicians that oversee the medical care. There are some specific ethnicity clinics available to students for volunteering as time permits. The things you will see in the clinics remind you when you're dragging through your first year of why it is you wanted to be a doctor. Very, very quality experience.

The campus environment is really supportive. Students are encouraging of their fellow classmates and will do whatever they can to help if necessary. Instructors tend to be very accessible to students and in general, the campus is a pretty friendly environment.

The downside: Well, Davis and Sacramento aren't exactly SF or San Diego. There are things to do, but it is definitely not the metropolitan area with a population over a million. You won't be far from SF, Tahoe, or Reno, so its pretty easy to get away for a weekend if you want.

I dunno what else you would want to know...

I thought I would give a little advice. I'm starting there next fall, so I can't give any information regarding the medical school, but I did my undergrad there and I also currently work at the med center in sacramento, so I'm getting a taste of how it all works.

Location: Um, I'm originally from the SF area, but I've been living here for almost 6, wow, six years. In all honesty, I'm very excited to move after medical school, but I really can't complain. People are nice, bars are convenient, the atmosphere is cozy and it is VERY safe.

Rank: For those of you concerned with a rank, I mean honestly davis has such a comprehensive medical center. We're talking Children's Hospitals to NCI funded Cancer Institute, the MIND Institute, Ronald McDonald House, It just goes on and on. I feel like Davis is a mastermind underdog. Crazy research, amazing clinical care and education all come out of this massive facility. Not to mention affiliates. Davis works with the VA, Sutter, Mercy, Kaiser and many more (including Shriners). I honestly think the Sacramento campus is amazing and because it isn't the highest rank place, it keeps its modesty, therefore putting people above and beyond pride, money and fame.

Distance of med school to med center: I believe the campus will be ready in the Spring of 2006, which will be our second year. So basically two years in Davis, two years in Sac. That can be cool. I lived in both and I like them both. Davis is the safe haven, best for studying and being hardcore. Sac is like a little dangerous in the sense that there are good and bad parts. This means that you get to see crazy stuff in the ED!! It also has a great downtown area and is a great place to meet people for us single people out there.

Miscellaneous: Davis has a law school, vet school, education school, a business school among other amazing graduate studies programs. In addition, you have the undergrads, which always spice up the social scene. This is a great place to meet lifelong friends and to enjoy interests outside of medicine. Tahoe really is close and so is SF. In fact, I go to Tahoe like 4-5 times a year and I go to SF twice a month or so.

I hope that is useful to some that are wondering why they should or shouldn't come. I'm stoked to be beginning the most challenging and fun portion of my life next fall, who's comin wit me! :) :love:

Thanks for the info guys. Interviewed there this week, everything you said pretty much fit with what I thought of the school. Will cross fingers for that acceptance.

domukin said:
Thanks for the info guys. Interviewed there this week, everything you said pretty much fit with what I thought of the school. Will cross fingers for that acceptance.

i'll cross my fingers for you too. :luck:

Hey folks,

First of all, congrats on matriculating to UC Davis SOM. I'm starting the last quarter of my first year, and I can tell you--it's such an amazing experience!

Anyways, for those entering UCDSOM in the fall, I wanted to let you know about a great place to live near the med school. Tangelwoods (http://www.interlandusa.com/Tanglewood.htm) is an apt complex right near Downtown Davis, a 10-15 minute bike ride to the medical campus, and an awesome <5' drive to the campus. I'll be moving to Sac over the summer, and my roomie is a chill, sweet, 1st-yr vet student (and stanford alumn). The apt has awesome amenities--its own washer/dryer, balcony, plenty of windows, vaulted ceiling, central heat/AC, and your own spacious BR and BA. The complex itself has a sweet swimming pool (great for those HOT Davis summers), fitness center, business center..and it's w/in walking distance to a Safeway shopping complex with a RiteAid, OfficeMax, restaurants, and cafes. Oh, and it's also a quiet complex w/lots of other grad students (law, md, vet) and families--not overrun with undergrads. :)

If interested, email/PM me. Rent is ~675. Females only! :) Thanks and good luck!!!