1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me about your orientations or pre-class activities

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by FamilyDO2BE, May 3, 2001.

1. FamilyDO2BE

FamilyDO2BE Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone,

I have been chosen to be the student coordinator for our orientation program. It last for three days and covers a little bit of everything from study skills, to personal stories from physicians. I was wondering if you guys at other schools had similar programs and if so if you could give me some ideas on programs or icebreakers. You could email me or post here and maybe we can swap some ideas with each other.

Thanks in advance

Bucco

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DepressedNYCOMstudent

DepressedNYCOMstudent Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

NYCOM had a GREAT orientation for us. I absolutely loved it. They started out with an Smart start day which started a day earlier. Students were asked toregister for it. There were several workshops given by several Professors of school ...like Study skills and stress management techniques in med school, nutrition for med students, Relationship problems while in med school, Computer facilties and research at the med school etc. They then assigned each one of us to our mentor whom we met at the end of the day. Lunch was provided. Then they had this great event called borther-sister luncheon where they assigned a second year student to each one of us. This was very helpful...because my second year sister gave me a lot of hints on what books to buy, how to study, what todo and what it would be like. I still keep in touch with her and she has been a great help in mu success through med school. Also, they had GREAT food at this luncheon with cakes, pizza, and a lot of other good stuff. Then we had our White coat ceremony which was very beautiful. This ceremony was followed by a another GREAT lunch out on the beautful NYCOM fields....the food was really great...with hot dogs, eggplant parmesia, barbeque chicken etc. Then we had this fantastic party at a bar/nightclub called the Osteoblast. This was a welcoming party given to us by the second years. There was drinking, dancing, dinner ....it was all great...Then I got started on our studying and never saw such good food or such happy times again. But we had a fantastic memorable orientation. I got to meet a lot of new people of my class...It was just great. I can't wait till the new incoming class comes in this year !!