Tell me about your weight during residency/fellowship, SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am trying and failing to imagine one of our neurosurgeons saying "kitsunepixie"

Yes, they would use my real name. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I lost 10 lbs in a month during my first month as an intern. I didn't want the chiefs catching me fooling around in the cafeteria. Then I realized that was stupid and gained it all back. As I became more senior, I gained weight because I sat in my office or scrubbed in the OR and always took time to eat. I wasn't running around the hospital anymore. Also the time to eat is limited so I ended up eating poorly. I wasn't ever fat but I was about 10 lbs overweight during residency, and about 15 lbs overweight during fellowship. As an attending I had way more time to work out AND eat healthier (cook for myself etc), and lost a few lbs. The best thing to happen to my weight was breaking up with my girlfriend, I started working out a lot to distract myself and I'm back to my high school weight with more muscle than I ever had in my life.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was frighteningly skeletal in pgy2. Stressed with little sleep or food. BMI of 18. Took me until Chief year to look normal but to this day, I still eat like it’s my last meal for 24h.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I hit my lowest weight around PGY-2 and -3 too. Heavy trauma rotations, pediatrics, q3 call, supervising the ICU residents and burn unit. Poor sleep all around.

I wasn't skeletal, but I probably lost 20lbs in those two years. Didn't make eating a priority and would grab stuff out of the vending machine when I could. Usually trail mix packets and a Dr. Pepper. Or free graham crackers and juice at the children's hospital.

I don't look back on those days with fond memory.

Reactions: 1 user
9 weeks into fellowship, I feel like an intern all over again. Just haven't figured out when to eat. A lot of it is self-imposed pressure to try to keep a tightly run service and convince the attendings I don't suck and that they didn't make a mistake in ranking me. I put a coffee maker in the bathroom so I can have it going as soon as I'm out of the shower. Throw in one of those super unhealthy breakfast sammiches. Eat while I drive in. Then pre-round, run the list with juniors and mid-levels, update and discuss plans with various attendings and then off to OR. If I'm smarter, I'll figure out how to eat in between cases, but usually I use the time between OR turnover to discuss whatever the hell is going on with the floor patients that the midlevels are trouble-shooting or see consults that roll in. If it's a good day then I get a lunch. If it's a normal day I may sit down to eat something around 1500-1600. Once again this is all self-induced. I've shed about 15 pounds since I've started, but fear not fellow SDNers; once I've settled into a better routine I shall get my fat back on and be that vascular surgeon who tells people to eat better while inhaling pizzas, burgers and fries behind the scenes. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users
Was frighteningly skeletal in pgy2. Stressed with little sleep or food. BMI of 18. Took me until Chief year to look normal but to this day, I still eat like it’s my last meal for 24h.

You must have had an amazing body for regional.

You must have had an amazing body for regional.

Lol. Skinny wasn’t a good look for me. I looked like a starving child. I have a video from those years and people can’t believe it’s me. Now I have a BMI of 20 and and get more compliments than I ever did before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile