tell me about yourself...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did YOU answer, "tell me about yourself"
(or how do you plan to answer the question?)

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking us about yourself? :)

Bring up something interesting about yourself.

If the interviewer seems open to humor, I would use this as an icebreaker and say something jokingly like "well, since I'm here, you've probably already figured out that I'm a groveling supplicant who wants to be a doctor when they grow up." After a few chuckles, you can then segue into some serious stuff. I think it's good to be seen as someone who can be quite serious when necessary but doesn't take themselves so seriously that they come across as stuffy. I also think this approach helps to show that you're comfortable in stressful situations and can handle them.

Use the golden rule-you want to come across as someone you'd want to be your doctor and the adcoms are looking for humanity as well as scholarship and initiative.

Hope this helps-anyone agree or disagree with me? If so, why? I'm open to receiving suggestions myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say touch on one of these things. Academic track, family, HOBBIES, your personality, and aspirations. This question is easy if you think about it. Just ask yourself, what do I want the interviewer to think about me. For example, do i want him to think that I am very family oriented than talk about your family. Be careful, if you do talk about your family, because if you do, you may appear to talk more about your family members than YOURSELF.

Above all else, talk about yourself. The interviewer is trying to GAUGE your communication skills, eye contact, and friendliness.
SMILE and be light hearted. DO NOT APPEAR UPTIGHT. Have fun with it.

Does it matter what you say? Yes, but not as much as how you say it. Think "chemistry" with the interviewer.

Originally posted by streetdoc
How did YOU answer, "tell me about yourself"
(or how do you plan to answer the question?)

...Umm..I told the interviewer about myself...:D