Tell me if I'm crazy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, is this impossible?? and please don't get angry, I'm just trying to make med school possible for me.

I already one half of gen chem, took way back in 2000 when I was getting my bachlors, didn't have to take the second half since i brought ap credit in. I need to re-take the whole thing, so that means pre-req wise I have to take bio, physics, gen chem and orgo. I am sure I could handle bio, physics and orgo together in one year, but my problem is gen chem.

My goal is to enter into a smp next year, since financially that is the only way I can make this possible since you only get postbacc financial aid for one year. The problem is that all the schools where I am currently living are on quarter system so my summer session won't end before most of the smp's start. If I don't go into a smp or some other graduate program next year I get no financial aid

Could I take all four classes during the year? is this crazy? If I can't make this work I'm just going to have go another direction become a PA or something that I can get all the pre-reqs done in one year, which is frustrating but reality

ok sorry for the rant, I'm just seeing the glass ceiling and feeling frustrated I wasn't pre-med in undergrad, who knew?

Members don't see this ad.

I think gchem is honestly the easiest of the four classes you listed, but that's going to be a very tough semester. It's doable but you're going to have to work very hard. Do all of those classes have labs? Is it even possible to schedule them all in the same semester if so?

yep they all have labs, it is possible to schedule, not fun but possible, especially because I have two nearby colleges to work from. Funny you say gen chem will be the easiest I was thinking it would be the hardest, physics and gen chem are what I'm worried about, orgo and bio I have a pretty good grasp on, so although they are challenging I enjoy them which makes them easy

I would have to do this for a full year, I might be dead at the end but maybe it would be good training for med school

any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you need to retake general chemistry?

I only have one semester of it and I need two

one time a person from here said to me... "finishing your pre-med requirements is not a race, its more of a marathon"

You can slow down and take those classes over a period of an entire year. If you say you don't have the financial ability to borrow loans for post-bacc studies, fine, either get a job and pay it yourself or use private loans (yes they rape you with high interest rates, but thats the price of wanting to become a doctor)

then you apply to an SMP in 2 years.... Remember, and SMP is a special MASTERS program meaning you get a whole new set of financial (federal) loans for your masters. Here in Michigan, a student who gets accepted into ANY masters program has like $125,000 to borrow from federal loans and Im sure every other state is the same (or similar at the least)

Don't rush your pre-med requirements, if you rush through them and start getting grades that are not so high, your going to hurt your chances of EVER getting into any medical school (regardless of how well you perform in your SMP)