"tell Me The Truth"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goooooober

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And yes, in case you are wondering, I CAN handle the truth. I am a 3rd year medical student at a DO school. I am in the process of preparing for residency application. I want to go into GS (eventually fellowship in peds or oncology) and I will only be applying to allopathic programs. My stats are: USMLE 228, GPA 3.52, + research and publications. I have heard that it will be almost impossible for me to get into a reputable academic GS program because such programs will not take DOs, regardless of qualifications. For those of you that are currently residents at such programs or know something about the process, to what extent is this true? Should I abandon the idea of applying to such programs and retreat into the mountains to open an OMM clinic? I just do not want to apply to these programs and not get any interviews and not have any programs to rank. Any help is truly appreciated and will be compensated with a coupon for one free OMM session at my clinic in the mountains in case I don't get accepted. Thank you and peace out.

Members don't see this ad.

your stats are good to above avg, but you are at a disadvantage. you need to stack all the chips in your favor...by this i mean ace step II, and take it early enough that it will be on your application. After that, there is not much you can do other than submit your application and prey for interviews. One other thing i highly recommend is to do a rotation at a program you are interested in. Don't listen to anyone what says "you don't want to go to a place that doesn't take DO's." That is an answer for p***y's who are to afraid to be a trailblazer. i say be the first and be the best. it also depends on location. in order to do peds or surg onc, you HAVE TO go to a university program, preferably one with one of those fellowships. it is difficult, but definitely not impossible...good luck.

eddoc said:
your stats are good to above avg, but you are at a disadvantage. you need to stack all the chips in your favor...by this i mean ace step II, and take it early enough that it will be on your application. After that, there is not much you can do other than submit your application and prey for interviews. One other thing i highly recommend is to do a rotation at a program you are interested in. Don't listen to anyone what says "you don't want to go to a place that doesn't take DO's." That is an answer for p***y's who are to afraid to be a trailblazer. i say be the first and be the best. it also depends on location. in order to do peds or surg onc, you HAVE TO go to a university program, preferably one with one of those fellowships. it is difficult, but definitely not impossible...good luck.

If you are serious about peds and/or surg onc, you need 2 years of research and an academic pedigree. Set your sights high. If you fail to match, you should do the 2 years of research and then reapply. You'll be a much more competitive applicant if you get in the lab of a well known surgeon and are productive.

goooooober said:
And yes, in case you are wondering, I CAN handle the truth. I am a 3rd year medical student at a DO school. I am in the process of preparing for residency application. I want to go into GS (eventually fellowship in peds or oncology) and I will only be applying to allopathic programs. My stats are: USMLE 228, GPA 3.52, + research and publications. I have heard that it will be almost impossible for me to get into a reputable academic GS program because such programs will not take DOs, regardless of qualifications. For those of you that are currently residents at such programs or know something about the process, to what extent is this true? Should I abandon the idea of applying to such programs and retreat into the mountains to open an OMM clinic? I just do not want to apply to these programs and not get any interviews and not have any programs to rank. Any help is truly appreciated and will be compensated with a coupon for one free OMM session at my clinic in the mountains in case I don't get accepted. Thank you and peace out.

Hi there,
There are plenty of good general surgery programs that will take DO graduates. You have a good USMLE and a good GPA and extracurriculars. What you may want to do is an audition rotation at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN or somewhere comparable and do well. Not only will they interview and match you but you will make good political contacts there.

Some programs in the South are skeptical of DO graduates but this is rapidly changing. Research your programs carefully and get some political connections in addition to your research. In places like the midwest where the DO schools have been well-represented, you are more likely to match.

Good luck!
njbmd :)