Tell me what I need to do... 3-4 points in one month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dray5150

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reviewing for this beast since September. After a lot of content review from numerous prep companies I've taken practice test the whole month of Nov and Dec

Kaplan
FL #1 P10 V9 B10 28
FL #5 P9 V7 B9 25
FL #6 P9 V13 B10 32
FL #3 P8 V10 B9 27
FL #2 P9 V9 V10 28

If taken 4 Gold standard ranging from 21-25

and AAMC 3 (P8, V10, B9) 27
AAMC 5 (P8 V9 B9) 26

I took the MCAT 3 years ago : (9,7,10) 26

Dont really know where to go from here besides finishing off all the practice test for Kaplan, GS, and AAMC and reviewing my mistakes. I have the TPR Science Workbook, all the EK 1001, and Berekley review books. Its all just very over whelming as to what to focus on.

My goal is a 30.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Your verbal seems to fluctuate. I guess the question would be what section do you think you need to work on? Also are you going back to the test and viewing what you got wrong, and maybe from there you can learn your weakness in that section. I say at this point working on topics that you really do bad on would be your best bet to do well, along with taking more test if possible. My two cents! Good luck!

Thanks... really appreciate the response. My verbal does flucuate but it seems to be coming up here lately.
Good luck to everyone.

I would suggest focus on really comprehending passages and focus on narrowing questions down. I think you would be surprised how really getting in there you can squeeze out a few more questions.

Can raise you 3 points possibly....verbal especially can be raised by not worrying about time to raise your score and get the critical thinking necessary down, then increase the speed.

I think this is the final step I needed to work on to get my 30. I needed more time to get there. Content review is good up to a point but getting the passage will get you a few more points.

The MCAT is truly a test that measures critical thinking with novel situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good advice. I've noticed I do miss a good bit of questions especially on AAMC's that seem to be given in the passage.

That's good advice. I've noticed I do miss a good bit of questions especially on AAMC's that seem to be given in the passage.

The real deal is just like that except I think the passages are harder. They have the same feel though.

Also, some passages were just out there and I could not get it totally. I never experienced that with AAMC, Kaplan, PR, or BR.

I have a friend that is great at the critical thinking and understanding things while I can beat him in class on straight memorizing and applying concepts.

He gets those "thinking" ones right. He barely studied for the MCAT and beat me by 6 points. He never even learned all the equations and barely had the basics down. For me, the MCAT is the worse you can give me in terms of my intelligence. Some can do one or the other and the truly "smart" can beat it all.

Just do the best you can and keep at it.